LongHaul seat and Utopia backrest.......

Have you ridden enough to rule out the stock seat? My 2013 r3t has 30k on it and seat is more comfortable than many custom seats I've had on other bikes. Just back from 15 day, 7500 mile jaunt...oem seat was perfect!

BOSS HOSS.JPG
Have you ridden enough to rule out the stock seat? My 2013 r3t has 30k on it and seat is more comfortable than many custom seats I've had on other bikes. Just back from 15 day, 7500 mile jaunt...oem seat was perfect!

The stock seat was good and the Gel seat a little better. Niether is bad but I would really like the rider backrest unless it pushes me to far forward into the tank. My Boss Hoss has a back rest and I got spoiled with it so I'm gonna see what one is like on the RT3.

BOSS HOSS.JPG

The stock seat was good and the Gel seat a little better. Niether is bad but I would really like the rider backrest unless it pushes me to far forward into the tank. My Boss Hoss has a back rest and I got spoiled with it so I'm gonna see what one is like on the RT3.
What's it like going from a boss hoss to a rocket?

What's it like going from a boss hoss to a rocket?[/QUOTE

They are very different bikes. The Rocket feels very light and nimble after 8 years on the BH. I like that feeling coupled with the good performance. I think the Rocket needs a sixth gear and a cruise control to be a really great touring bike. I have also had many Harley and the Rocket to me is better in EVERY way other than the missing sixth gear. Even with the five speed 90mph seems effortless if one wanted to ride it there all day, but a sixth speed would be perfect. The BH is in a world of its own, mostly good but not ALL. It is a GREAT touring bike in my opinion. At 400 horsepower and all the torque in the world nothing makes the engine strain. Its an automatic transmission 2 speed and it will spoil you just like an automatic does in a car. It will go 100mph in first gear and at 100mph in second the engine is about 3000 rpms. The wind never bothers it and the seat and air ride suspension are great for comfort. I left Grants Pass Oregon one morning and rode straight thru to Los Angeles and then went out for dinner. There are some downsides as with ALL bikes. The brakes don't last real long as the automatic trans does not help the engine to slow the bike down very much. The brakes don't stop you very well compared to the Rocket or any other bike weighing 500 lbs less. The BH weighs about 1300 lbs. The tires don't last as long as a regular bike due to the weight and if you're heavy handed the rear tire will soon be a memory. The gas mileage is about 21 mpg and it uses premium. When I'm on the freeway I love the weight as it feels like a Cadillac but in the twisties it takes work to to ride it. The Rocket seems like a road racer after riding the BH. Riding the BH is like a fighter hitting the heavy bag, after that hitting a person seems easy. It really isn't fair to compare a BH with any other normal motorcycle, they are just to different. The only real similarity is they both have two wheels. I like the Rocket just as much but in a different kind of way. The BH is like driving my Kenworth and the Rocket is like driving my Ford Ranger. My V* Chopper is in another world altogether fro both the Rocket and the BH. Its a Chopper with all the drawbacks of a Chopper but its the KING of all Choppers and its fast, real fast compared to either of my other bikes, its a blast to ride but its useless as a tourer or a every day bike. On special occasions and for pure brute power its the most fun bike I've ever ridden.
MY CHOPPER.jpg

Cool review. Thanks. I've got to to a Boss one of these days.[/QUOT

As you may know I was hit by a truck pulling a trailer on August 2 while riding to Sturgis on my BH while I was in Montana. The bikes frame, wheels, engine, trans, and front forks are ok. The tank, fenders, handlebars, risers, crash bars, radiator, fan, lights, mirrors, etc are totaled. It will be at least 6 months before its fixed and painted, that's why I bought the Rocket. I think the Rocket is the best bike for the buck there is in the touring bike world. Dave

Hi I built my own quick detach backrest and had it upholstered the same as the seats, It slips into some SS box section in between the Main and Pillion seat. Also had the stock seat reupholstered with Gel and its very comfortable. We reshaped the rear seat as my wife hated it. Have remodeled it since then and its a lot flatter on the back now. This one broke off in a crash I had.
018a.JPG
019 - Copyb.JPG

Hi I built my own quick detach backrest and had it upholstered the same as the seats, It slips into some SS box section in between the Main and Pillion seat. Also had the stock seat reupholstered with Gel and its very comfortable. We reshaped the rear seat as my wife hated it. Have remodeled it since then and its a lot flatter on the back now. This one broke off in a crash I had.
018a.JPG
019 - Copyb.JPG

NICE JOB

The Utopia back rest for the R3T will not work on the gel seat but will work with the stock seat. I also have a long haul seat with the back rest and it does push you forward. The Utopia also has an optional 1/2" set back for added clearance. Skinny guys wont notice but those of us with some tonnage do! :rolleyes:Utopia will also make a matching passenger pad if you send him your template of the bolt holes.

Not sure if the Utopia will work with the Long Haul seat. I would think that if the pan is the same then it should work but if the seat is gel filled then it wont work. Utopia used one of my old stock seats as a template to make the R3T back rest. They are the ones recommending against using it on a gel seat.

Back