Laid it down - Twice!

Hey Tin Can, happened to me last year. My mate suddenly made a unexpected full stop at an intersection to check his satnav and as i had my right foot on the highway peg i used the front brake only. She threw me of and when i looked behind me lying on the pavement she was standing upright, slightly tilted, leaning on the crashbars, floorboards and probably the exhausts or bottom of the paniers. Never noticed any damage on her. Very embarassing though.

I'v been looking for an FJR or BMW R1200R naked for the R3 is too heavy reason. From the 90s of course. Both are a little too high for my 32 inseam, but I think I could manage. Cooter2's Kawasaki might work. I had a Zephyr like 14 years ago. Rrrevy-Buuzy motor and wiggly bike but fast and comfy. Those were the days before I bought a tire pressure gage.

Not trading the Rocket. When I croak someone will get it. With a bunch of spare parts.

Getting closer

00z0z_215NYaQGTVw_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg 2008 / F800ST

Yep, What @Kevin frazier said. I have a 2014 as well and have dropped it four times so far. Not from the front brake though but close several times; especially when the tire is turned.
Mine have been not having the kickstand fully forward or once, my shoestring got stuck as I rolled to a stop light and I couldn't get my foot down in time. All embarrassing for sure, not hit to the bike through due to awesome engine guards.
Been there done that. Caught my pant leg and couldn't get my foot down.

All those of you who've dropped a giant bike ought to feel a little better from the fact that there are so many variables, and some of them you can't control:

You can learn to stay off the front, especially on uneven ground or sideways gradient, and anytime the bars are turned at low speed. You can learn to practice, practice, practice all the motojitsu stuff (and make no mistake, that guy is awesome at what he does, BUT...the parking lot he uses is flat, and the bike he brags about being ever so tall is a BMW GS, which carries that boxer weight lowlowlow, and is very easy to turn at low speeds in a parking lot). You can learn to think ahead, and pass up places to turnaround that would require skills you don't have yet with a bike this big, BUT you will never be able to practice for every eventuality. How about a Tiger 1200 with a tall seat, full tank, an undulating parking lot or driveway going up a steep hill, and areas of gravel? If you like riding the mountains in places like TN, NC, northwest SC and northeast GA, you run into stuff like that all...the...time.

To tell one on myself, my primary ride is a motorcycle with a higher seat than the Rocket (and an air seat pad, which adds an inch), and one with a much higher CG, especially with a full, 7-gallon tank of gas, but if you're used to cruisers, the new Rocket DOES sit up much higher than most, a good thing for cornering clearance and handling at high speeds, but not parking lots. And while I'm 52, ridden since a kid, and had never dropped a bike before buying the GT, either, I recently had my second drop (first one was learn-from-it stupidity) while executing a slow, turnaround, full-lock turn with only rear brake, BUT for some reason, my brain didn't record that the gravel on the shoulder of the narrow road we were riding on was on an upward slope, and I thought it was level with the road surface (and our brains would expect most gravel just off the road to be downward from the road, not up), so down I went. Feeling like a moron. With company. And on a trip where we were flying on the Dragon (full disclosure: a group of 5 Lexus LCs and one Nissan GT-R were faster, and we had to move over to let them pass), Moonshiner and Cherohala Skyway and I was the fastest rider (to the point I was hanging a fat cheek off the seat to keep from peg scraping), BUT after that, my company was making sure to give Mr. Dropsy a nice, big area to turn around or Y-turn. And can't blame them, as a drop like that messes with your mind and makes you a bit jittery for the next few low-speed turns.

There are some wonderful things about bigger bikes, contrary to so many "modern opinions". But low speed handling ain't one of them. No shame in a drop. Get drop bars and buy some nice emery paper and some satin-black paint for touchups.

I dropped mine once making a hard right out of a parking lot, stalled it because I was unknowingly in 2nd gear. Bless the crash bars, and my wife, I said to her what are you doing, she ssid I'm holding it up, lmao, I said you most assuredly aren't, it's resting on the crash bar.

These confessions remind me of the time I dumped my '01 Valkyrie Interstate during an advanced safety riding course , 20 something years ago. A dozen or so bikes were following each other doing figure 8's at a slow walk speed. The bike in front of me suddenly stalled/stopped and to avoid rear ending the guy I turned my front wheel to the left and down I went at 0 mph. Several guys immediately parked their bikes and came to my aid to lift the bike. A mouthy young lady ,along with her equally stupid boyfriend, riding tiny Ninja style rice rockets, started yelling: "Stop, don't help him, he needs to learn how to lift it himself!" Huh, what? Now keep in mind this gal and guy were not the instructors . The actual instructors were retired LEO's who were clearly annoyed by the antics of these two. .......popping wheelies, doing wheel stands, telling the rest of us how to ride, saying really stupid stuff like, "NO FEAR", etc. Everyone else in the class were riding full size cruisers, or full dress touring bikes, mostly Harleys. Thankfully, everyone ignored the commands from these two punks and helped me pop my bike up in a few seconds. Also picture the fact this was a very hot and humid day in Tampa, Florida, me in my mid 50's, as were most of the other students, and these two little jerks in their early 20's, tops. Later in the day during the indoor classroom session, where at the end of class our scores and rankings were being announced, before the entire class, she and her boyfriend, ironically and justly........ BOTH FLUNKED the course.....the only washouts! It was and remains to this day one of my happiest memories! :) :thumbsup:

PS The LEO's, one a retired sheriff on a full dress Goldwing and the other a retired Highway Patrolman riding a full dress BMW GTL, or whatever that was called back then, did amazing things on their bikes. They could flick their bikes around as if they were weightless......sparks flying off their pipes during many of their impressive maneuvers.

Back