Uh-Oh, could it be the starter?

Bob R

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
Recently when starting my bike it will go chug-chug-chug-nothing. I wait about 2 seconds and it goes chug-chug-chug- vroom. The battery is fresh this year. I keep it on a trickle charger when parked. The only thing electrical I have done this year is to install the Suzuki R/R. Even when it does not start but stops abruptly there is no hesitation with cranking. It does seem to happen more often after it has been sitting in the sun all day at work, but this could be a red herring. I am thinking maybe the starter getting ready to go tits up? It is a 2013 R3T with 25K miles on it. I am open to suggestions.

bob

Probably a slightly loose or dirty connection.

I was thinking that as I was typing earlier, the first thing I will do is to clean and tighten the connections, probably run another battery cable to the positive side while i am at it, I have already doubled up the negative side.

bob

i have a black + red tank and in the arizona sun when i go home it does not run real good for a while and especially when the gas is at the ring.
i think the fumes go into the canister and then get sucked into throttle bodies.:(
when i start mine i bring the rpm's to 2000 for a little while and then it is ok. i have also hear this when u fill to over the plate in gas tank.
but if u r talking about how fast the motor turns over that is a different story.

i have a black + red tank and in the arizona sun when i go home it does not run real good for a while and especially when the gas is at the ring.
i think the fumes go into the canister and then get sucked into throttle bodies.:(
when i start mine i bring the rpm's to 2000 for a little while and then it is ok. i have also hear this when u fill to over the plate in gas tank.
but if u r talking about how fast the motor turns over that is a different story.

That is exactly why I took all of the emissions stuff off of mine years ago. Nothing like filling up and then getting a couple of miles (or less) down the road and it wants to stall on you. I have not had that issue since removing the canister and letting it vent to mother earth as was intended in the days before everyone wanted to start regulating every aspect of our lives. ;)

bob

Since day 1 when parked in the sun, and tried to start warm, my bike has always chugged a little for 10 seconds or so.

Since then it's gotten:
Bigger Starter
2 batteries
Better venting for tank
Different injectors, pressure reg, filter, pump
Extra positive cable
Extra ground cable
Different TB set
3 different plug types
Different coils
New TPS
New IAT

It STILL does it lol.

The only consistent item is the ECU that would effect starting, and that's what I'm blaming for the chugging starts with, hot gas from sitting in the sun.

Since day 1 when parked in the sun, and tried to start warm, my bike has always chugged a little for 10 seconds or so.

Since then it's gotten:
Bigger Starter
2 batteries
Better venting for tank
Different injectors, pressure reg, filter, pump
Extra positive cable
Extra ground cable
Different TB set
3 different plug types
Different coils
New TPS
New IAT

It STILL does it lol.

The only consistent item is the ECU that would effect starting, and that's what I'm blaming for the chugging starts with, hot gas from sitting in the sun.
Come and live in the UK and that starting after sitting in the sun problem will be long gone! :laugh::laugh:

Back