Laid it down - Twice!

TinCanNavy

Motorcycle, coffee, and tea, enthusiast.
Ride
2014 R3T
Fellow Rocketeers,
It is with deep shame that I admit I have laid my R3T down twice in one week. I am completely befuddled as to why? I have been riding, since I was in my teens, 55 yrs. old now, many different bikes, and have never had this happen to me before. Moving only inches in speed, at best, while pulling into a parking spot, the bike dumped me off on the left hand side. I was light on the throttle and creeping forward, tapped the front brake, when it seemed to just lock up, threw me off balance, and over we went. Bruised ego, for me, and not a scratch on the bike. Thank God for my helmet or it would have been much worse. NEVER have I had this happen before. Has this ever happened to any of you?

Fellow Rocketeers,
It is with deep shame that I admit I have laid my R3T down twice in one week. I am completely befuddled as to why? I have been riding, since I was in my teens, 55 yrs. old now, many different bikes, and have never had this happen to me before. Moving only inches in speed, at best, while pulling into a parking spot, the bike dumped me off on the left hand side. I was light on the throttle and creeping forward, tapped the front brake, when it seemed to just lock up, threw me off balance, and over we went. Bruised ego, for me, and not a scratch on the bike. Thank God for my helmet or it would have been much worse. NEVER have I had this happen before. Has this ever happened to any of you?
Yes, I have learned with this touring when moving slow do not tap touch look at or otherwise the front brake it will throw you to the ground, rear only.

Yep, What @Kevin frazier said. I have a 2014 as well and have dropped it four times so far. Not from the front brake though but close several times; especially when the tire is turned.
Mine have been not having the kickstand fully forward or once, my shoestring got stuck as I rolled to a stop light and I couldn't get my foot down in time. All embarrassing for sure, not hit to the bike through due to awesome engine guards.

I ride a Roadster. Even so when i bought the X spent the whole day down in Texas riding in the parking lot and local side streets before hitting the ride home to Oklahoma. Got home and the next morning took the rocket out to a empty parking lot and Practiced. Straight line hard breaking, corning breaking, and slow breaking. Did the same the next day same empty parking lot. All day plus cones. The old rockets will handle very well but it takes practice.

Here ya go Bobby...

1598399301174.png

Yes it has happened to me twice. The second time is just what you described but I went down on the right side trying to navigate a small turnaround. I have come to accept the fact that I’m getting older now, and the weight of this bike was getting to be too much for me to handle safely.
I am almost 61 years old and it was time for me to lighten up. I have traded my 15 R3T for a 2020 Kawasaki Concours.
I have trimmed about 170 lbs off with the new bike. The handling of my new 1400 is so much lighter, and I can push it around my garage so much easier too.
I will miss the big Triumph, but I now feel like my new bike is a better fit for me. Here’s a picture of my new Concours. Don’t mind the messy garage!
Good luck, Eric
810DA89F-341F-4FEC-9BA2-8E707D3175C6.jpeg

Last edited:
The front brake on mine was very touchy as well. I learned something years ago about slow speed maneuvering. A little rear brake and just enough throttle to overcome the brake and you can turn the bike on a dime. I don't understand the physics of it, but it works. Used to practice tight circles in a parking lot that way.

Back