Is it just my imagination or...? (60k mile R3T service)

dandiego

Turbocharged
Ride
2009 R3T
Seems like I just hit 50k miles a couple months ago, but here I am, at the 60,000 mile mark.

I asked fellow Rocketeer PreStaged if he’d help me do the service and he said, “Come on over!” He really does have a great garage.

We went by the book, for the most part, and knocked out the oil and filter change (surprisingly dirty since I changed it when doing the detent spring only 2k miles ago), rear drive gear oil, spark plugs, coolant (I was pretty much dry!) and then moved to the steering head.

There was no play there, and the needle bearing looked good, but it wasn’t the easiest to get to. Greased it up really well and put it back together.

We skipped the brake bleeding and I plan to put on some speed bleeders in conjunction with the next brake fluid flush. The brake pads looked fine, but those will need swapping out soon.

Cleaned and re-oiled the K&N air filter while I was in there.

We then put it in the ECU Tune and cleared one fault (P1690: CanBus). It was likely when I was yanking wires under the tank to get to the plugs. Everything else looked OK, to include the throttle bodies.

I buttoned everything up and was on the road about 3.5 hours after we started. Maybe it was my imagination, but that R3 sure ran smoother and stronger. And many, many women glanced my way as I cruised home. Again, “maybe” I just imagined that.

Thanks again, PreStaged! Always good to see you.

Note: I was pretty ashamed to have my filthy pig pulled in among his shiny bikes! I truly hadn’t realized how dirty I’d let my bike get. Tomorrow she’ll get a bath...
9D744765-C003-41B4-8AF4-38B951192229.jpeg
60E1FDE9-C509-48FC-AC40-BB6C8EA048D7.jpeg
D6D40248-A8C0-497D-B59B-A62A25AED885.jpeg

Last edited:
Grease is the key to the neck bearings. Replaced mine at 45,000 due to a wobble. Used Lucas Green lube with new races and bearings. No issues since then. About ready for a maintenance overhaul and got a feeling bearings are going to require greasing only not replacement. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: 60,000 showing.

Seems like I just hit 50k miles a couple months ago, but here I am, at the 60,000 mile mark.
I asked fellow Rocketeer PreStaged if he’d help me do the service and he said, “Come on over!” He really does have a great garage.
We went by the book, for the most part, and knocked out the oil and filter change, rear drive gear oil, spark plugs, coolant (I was pretty much dry!) and then moved to the steering head.
There was no play there, and the needle bearing looked good, but it wasn’t the easiest to get to. Greased it up really well and put it back together.
We skipped the brake bleeding and I plan to put on some speed bleeders in conjunction with the next brake fluid flush. The brake pads looked fine, but those will need swapping out soon.
We then put it in the ECU Tune and cleared one fault (P1690: CanBus). It was likely when I was yanking wires under the tank to get to the plugs. Everything else looked OK, to include the throttle bodies.
I buttoned everything up and was on the road about 3.5 hours after we started. Maybe it was my imagination, but that R3 sure ran smoother and stronger. And many, many women glanced my way as I cruised home. Again, “maybe” I just imagined that.
Thanks again, PreStaged! Always good to see you.
Note: I was pretty ashamed to have my filthy pig pulled in among his shiny bikes! I truly hadn’t realized how dirty I’d let my bike get. Tomorrow she’ll get a bath...
9D744765-C003-41B4-8AF4-38B951192229.jpeg
60E1FDE9-C509-48FC-AC40-BB6C8EA048D7.jpeg
D6D40248-A8C0-497D-B59B-A62A25AED885.jpeg

You DO realize you are a richard for showing off that perfect garage and making us feel inadequate?!?!?

I was shamed into doing a bit of a cleanup in my garage this morning, Listening to The Boss.
Never, ever gonna look like that though!

Back