JW Speaker 8630 Evolutions Fitted

This is how the headlight works.

8630-EVO-1%20led%20functions.jpg

Though fortunately the 8700 Evo 2 has a far wider pattern than the earlier models so that should help some.
I'd lake to see myself - I suspect that whilst wider it will all be blow a 1.5º below horizontal cut-off. So wont produce the scatter effect. imo - HEADLIGHTS are to light the road - DRLS are to let others see you. And again imo the design parameters are different.

During my extended stay in the UK earlier this year I was very aware how effective the DRLS on the new LandRover/RangeRover are.
They are high up for a start. and have a distribution that catches the eye - but they're almost certainly not THAT bright.

iirc DRL's cant exceed 2 (maybe 5) watts per side. that's about 250-400lumens raw. Lot's of smaller LEDs totalling 5 watts maybe. Position lights iirc 1Watt.

tdragger - thanks for that!

Came across this elsewhere and it illustrates why I think having some more lights than just the one headlight - for instance, a pair of LED's on the forks - makes a lot of sense.

p2XWmwy.jpg

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 just fitted as my single Touring headlight, after noting the truth spoken by others of my high-wattage H4 bulb being incompatible with the cheap (shame on you) Triumph plastic reflector.

Looks good in the garage -- will see what I can tell on the road.

Should you wish to follow suit, alas, the Triumph outer shell has a tabbed slot in which fits a corresponding key tab on the back of the plastic reflector. This key has no analog on the JW Speaker unit, and furthermore, the slot tab of the shell interferes with the JW. The metal is thin enough to bend it up and out of the way, but there is no deterministic substitute to ensure the new light is oriented correctly. The Triumph shell has four spring clips that are easily disengaged to remove the plastic reflector, and easily re-engaged to secure the JW -- these too are not keyed in any way and would allow the JW to be installed in any orientation. JW does have the brand name molded in the glass at the bottom, so I sort of guessed where the middle of that was, and aligned it with the weep hole in the bottom of the shell.

Last edited:
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 just fitted as my single Touring headlight, after noting the truth spoken by others of my high-wattage H4 bulb being incompatible with the cheap (shame on you) Triumph plastic reflector.

Looks good in the garage -- will see what I can tell on the road.

Should you wish to follow suit, alas, the Triumph outer shell has a tabbed slot in which fits a corresponding key tab on the back of the plastic reflector. This key has no analog on the JW Speaker unit, and furthermore, the slot tab of the shell interferes with the JW. The metal is thin enough to bend it up and out of the way, but there is no deterministic substitute to ensure the new light is oriented correctly. The Triumph shell has four spring clips that are easily disengaged to remove the plastic reflector, and easily re-engaged to secure the JW -- these too are not keyed in any way and would allow the JW to be installed in any orientation. JW does have the brand name molded in the glass at the bottom, so I sort of guessed where the middle of that was, and aligned it with the weep hole in the bottom of the shell.

Yeah...while I am skimming 750 for a set of headlamps from the household budget is there any gain found by using Eastern Beavers 78 dollar weatherproof relay harness and a new set of H4's?

I am sold on the EVOs but this black hole of a bike needs a J and M and light and etc and etc so since I do not ride much at night I was wondering if a dedicated harness and relay would get some more juice to a new set of H4s?

Am ordering a PC8 so I was wondering what you guys thought on bypassing Triumphs stock wiring as that has to be part of the anemia problem.

Thanks...G

Last edited:
Yeah...while I am skimming 750 for a set of headlamps from the household budget is there any gain found by using Eastern Beavers 78 dollar weatherproof relay harness and a new set of H4's?

I am sold on the EVOs but this black hole of a bike needs a J and M and light and etc and etc so since I do not ride much at night I was wondering if a dedicated harness and relay would get some more juice to a new set of H4s?

Am ordering a PC8 so I was wondering what you guys thought on bypassing Triumphs stock wiring as that has to be part of the anemia problem.

Thanks...G

The Eastern Beaver Headlight Relay kit (or similar) is a must-have particularly on 2010 or older Rockets. The increased brightness of the headlights is a side benefit of saving your ignition switch. Consult the threads on the hundreds of fried ignition switches if you need convincing. Yes, the headlights are significantly brighter but the real reason for the EB kit is to save your ignition switch. Pity the fools that do not heed the warning.

I have posted before about these, and there is a thread on them, but they are an inexpensive alternative and work very well. I would also strongly advise you to get the EB kit or something similar. However, these lights draw a lot less power, so the EB kit is not quite as critical.

3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight bulb

I have posted before about these, and there is a thread on them, but they are an inexpensive alternative and work very well. I would also strongly advise you to get the EB kit or something similar. However, these lights draw a lot less power, so the EB kit is not quite as critical.

Thanks Guys.....

I will definitely do the EB mods and look for that Cyclops thread. As little as I ride at night the money I save using the Cyclops vs the EVOs pays for my J and M radio setup!

Cheers...Greg

IDK....

Did you see this particular brand....

OPT7 Motorcycle LED Headlight Kit w/ Arc-Beam™ Clear 6K Cool White - 40w 3,500Lm CREE

Saw it on Amaz*n with 144 ratings at 4.7 star without cooling fans or ballast...Any reason you went with the Cyclops? Just curious if you considered multiple brands?

If you had any probs with the Cyclops install LMK...if not I will for sure go with their brand...They had good write ups on several different forums.......

Thanks...Greg

BTW...Cyclops has a 4K/6K color adjustable 3800 Lumen H4; with a screw on reflector for better low beam cutoff and of course the Kelvin color selectivity...Not sure if that was available when you got yours....Same price looks slightly different.
3800 Lumen Convertible H4 bulb with 4000 and 6000K

Part Number CIL-LEDMD-H4C

Last edited:
@xlr8tion it is a tight fit, but it does fit. Getting the wiring to sit the right way in the bucket is the tricky bit. I didn't really look too much at other brands as I didn't find anything comparable. There are lots of LED lights out there, but none with the same brightness, or with so many good reviews on multiple forums. There may be more available now, but I am still happy with them.

Back