Joined the dump club.....

Baggage1

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Yes,I did.Of coarse it had to happen in a MSF class on the last day in front of everybody in the practice session.Just finished the figure 8 in the box perfect and went on to the slow S curve and lost it doing 2mph.The crash bar(not engine enhancement device)and Leatherlykes saves my beauty from getting a scratch!Instructor ran over and shut it off before I could.Leaked a few drops of precious gas in fear of fire he said.Got it back up fired right up and got a 100 on the practical.I learned that it takes work to turn the beast at walk speeds,that front rubber footprint ain't too coopreative to swing about for sure.Signed up for the next advanced coarse.Learned a bunch,want more,I'm just a glutton for punishment:D

Sorry to hear about your drop. Glad there was no damage.;)

Do you use your own bike in the msf course? Around here, the basic course is taught with 250 nighthawks and rebels. You only use your own in the advanced course.

Whoooooo.... You had me worried for a second. I know dumping it is serious business but at least you were just about stopped when you did it and had some help. I really don't ever want to dump mine but that's probably wishful thinking.

I took the first course years ago... I should take it again

Baggage1, sorry to hear about your drop. Were you taking the MSF Experienced Rider Course (ERC)? If so how was it and do you feel it helped you? I have tried signing up for that class at my local community college but it doesn't seem to get enough applicants so it always gets cancelled.

CONFESSION

Am a senior member of that club, Baggage 1, although anonymously so :mad: , until today.

Traffic light turning red. Right boot reaching for the asphalt. But landing on a greasy puddle. Engine oil. Diesel fuel. Whatever, that I had not paid attention to (my mistake, i.e. that of ONLY looking ahead). Boot slipping away from the bike... and bike starting to lean towards the boot :eek: . Nothing I could do. I just cushioned the fall as much as I could. The whole episode lasted only a few seconds. But, strangely, it felt (and it slill feels) like SLOW MOTION.

Surprisingly enough, bike damage was limited to a bent rear lever and a crack in the right peg (won't dwell on EGO damage, right?) .

A couple of car drivers helped me put the Rocket III back on its wheel. It started right away and off I went.

Best wishes to ALL (both closet and confessed) dumping club members.

Jamie:cool:

Last edited:
The coarse was the BRC,Vonbonds,the minimum requirement to get your base sticker.Very useful consepts and some tricks of the trade from the instructors,such as counterweighting in slow tight turns to allow for a tighter radius.I must confess I got ride like a pro before I got the bike and used his rear brake,friction zone technique extensively.Jamie,your confession will grant you many dump free smiles:DWilber-t I tried to use thier bike but since I had my own they shot me down:mad:.Those 250 rebels looked like cake.The interesting thing about the class as most had ninjas had difficulty negotiating the figure 8 in the box.Lack of turn radius and short wheel base restricts slow manuvers.And they looked so small.:confused:

Very impressive you performed the figure 8 on your Rocket!

Jamie, sorry to hear about your drop. Hopefully you have that out of your system now!

Wow, good thing for the pegs and bags. I did a stupid get off your bike thinking the kick stand was down, it wasn't. The bike didn't go down hard, but at 800# this Popeye could just ease the fall. I broke my peg also, but thats all, exept looking around hoping that no one was wathcing that one! Now my butts on the bike until I double check the stand. I do constantly worry about the lean angle though, seems like its not enough.

Back