Joined the dump club.....

I do constantly worry about the lean angle though, seems like its not enough.

I've read about some Rocket owners kissing and even snapping the pegs with no bad habits following. It would take a lot to down a 800lb Rocket as apposed to a much lighter bike. It's good to know in a tight turn the Rocket will carry you out safely even when you do make bike/road contact.

I've heard the Rivco Floorboards give a shade more lean( unsubstantiated ) but since they are hinged they simply fold in a tight turn.

It's Not If....... But When

Glad you passed with flying colors. That's one of the things I liked about the R3 was it's ability to handle fairly well in slow, tight conditions. I'm going to try and get in the advanced class to learn more about group riding.

Jamie....... So happy you and the bike are okay. I've dropped once but it was in my garage when I tripped over something, fell stomach first over the seat and the slow motion dance was on. Did a little scraping to the chrome on the right engine dresser bar and a nick on the right counter weight. I was alone and found I could get it back up but I only had enough strength for one attempt. Also groaning helps a lot when you lift!

Dump club too??

I had a dump (not a BM).

Last year I was putting my Bonneville (with the sidecar off) up on it's centerstand in my shop. The concrete floor is power trowled and has epoxy on it, all contributing to a slippery finish and my stupidity. Anyway, I was on the left side with my right foot on the centerstand and I pulled back on the bars and my foot slipped off the centerstand bracket. It went over on the right (away from me) and I tried to hold it, but wound up on top of the bike almost wacking my head on the verticle mill table. I walked around the other side of the bike and picked it right up (somehow, I don't think I could do that with the R3). I wound up breaking a turnsignal, the brake lever and a mirror. The crash bars saved the tank and the footpeg folded against the engine saving it from a scratch. It does seem like slow motion when it goes over.

Interestingly, there is a set of open holes (lugs) on the underbelly of the R3 right in front of the swingarm where a centerstand would go. The T100 has the same placement of lugs (only smaller). A centerstand would be a fine addition to the R3 so long as it wasn't employed on a smooth concrete floor. I can see the use of a wrecker to pick up the R3, it's heavy.:D

My beginner class was on bikes they rented. But was told if we went on and took the progressive classes we would be required to use our own bikes then.

My instructor told us that the two guaranteed ways to flunk the test was 1) doing something totally dangerous 2) dropping the bike. I was feeling overwhelmed with that darn box even though the instructor said he could do it with his gold wing and my honey bear said he could do it with his Boss Hoss. What he did tell us was the the most points you get taken off for that box was not enough to flunk you and you lost points for putting your foot down. But keep in mind you couldn't flunk the test just from that part of the test. Then reminded us of that second automatic way to flunk (dropping the bike). So he told us that do what you had to do to get through that box but DON'T drop the bike! THANK GOODNESS! I didn't have any trouble with the rest of the test. :rolleyes:

Condolences and congratulations

Pianoman,
I've been brush-hogging my farm for the last several days and haven't had time to visit my favorite site for any length of time, though I did see the post regarding dumping. I wanted to make some comments that I thought you might appreciate. I was the very first MSF instructor in Springfield, after I passed the basic, then advanced, then certified for instructor. As you may already know, EVERYBODY goes down at least once if they ride long enough. I've been riding since 1957 or so (been down three times prior to 1974, never hurt - even in CALIFORNIA traffic!!), and it's like I told my son when he chose to buy his first Triumph last year - ask yourself - if the worst happens and you live the rest of your life sitting in a wheelchair, sucking through a straw, was it worth it?? He answered with an emphatic YES. I asked him essentially the same question when they airlifted him in a chopper to the emergency room last April 15 with non-life-threatening injuries and his answer was the same YES. Then I watched him leave for work this morning on his Triumph Speed Four with I know a smile on his face. Condolences for losing the R3 and scratching a guard bar, as well as scratching the ego. Congratulations for getting right back on the bike and still appreciating the freedom of riding. And remember when the "I told you sos" lecture you on how dangerous biking is, they then drive off to ride their favorite horse (Christopher Reeves), take in a little skiing (Sonny Bono), take a ride in a plane (John Denver), or simply sit in the chair collecting cholesterol with a remote until "the big one" hits, like most of America. I'm bringing a busload of gamblers to KC Saturday. . .and will have some free time for lunch. You available? - references to a previous post!

Counterweighting is for people like me who are horribly deformed. The left side of my body weighs more than the right side. If I stand on a scale only on my left foot I weigh 230 but if I stand only on my right foot I weigh 215. Therefore I have to put 15 pounds of rocks in my right pockets when I ride or I fall off of my bike....

CONFESSION

Am a senior member of that club, Baggage 1, although anonymously so :mad: , until today.
... Jamie!! Shame on you for not owning up earlier. Well we all know I dropped the mighty red beast on a cold wet road with cold tyres and snapped my clutch lever!:eek:

SteveRed said:
... Jamie!! Shame on you for not owning up earlier.!:eek:

Shame ? Quite the opposite, Steve. I felt I was a nobody here until I'd have a dump to report :(

Took me some extra time, i.e. to fall, I reckon ;)

Jamie

Back