R3Rx118

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3Rx118
Hey guys, this is probably a non issue but I wanted to ask here before doing it. I have the standard motorcycle floor jack and up until now all my bikes have had frame rails to lift from, not so with the Rocket. Is there any issue doing the same thing with the rocket since it will be basically lifting the bike by the oil pan/case? Also do you need some blocks or something to give it a better surface or will it balance fine as is??

Hey guys, this is probably a non issue but I wanted to ask here before doing it. I have the standard motorcycle floor jack and up until now all my bikes have had frame rails to lift from, not so with the Rocket. Is there any issue doing the same thing with the rocket since it will be basically lifting the bike by the oil pan/case? Also do you need some blocks or something to give it a better surface or will it balance fine as is??

Jack-Be-Quick | Rocket III (2004-2017)

Several posts on this topic. It is not recommended that you lift directly on the bottom of the engine. You may find yourself expensively sorry if you do it. There are plenty of ideas in the numerous posts...including mine.

For the last 12yeras I have placed a piece of 3/4" plywood with a aunt sally(spinning plate ) attached to it that goes on my bike jack and under the engine I lift it up and spin the bike around so I can ride out of my bike shed instead of backing it out.
So are you saying that it's okay to lift the bike by placing a jack underneath the sump?

56700CC7-1265-4C72-9959-72DEE080FF5F-large.jpg

I lift my touring with this.

I lift from the non side stand side. I have a piece of marine ply on the rear lift bar and it goes under the lifting lugs just behind the engine, this lifting arm takes the vast majority of the weight and the front arm rests under the sump but supporting very little weight.

The bike balances well like this, I jack it up to the desired height then lock the lift in place and strap the bike on 4 corners to it before working on her. Especially important if your removing wheels as this upsets the balance quite a bit :eek:

56700CC7-1265-4C72-9959-72DEE080FF5F-large.jpg

I lift my touring with this.

I lift from the non side stand side. I have a piece of marine ply on the rear lift bar and it goes under the lifting lugs just behind the engine, this lifting arm takes the vast majority of the weight and the front arm rests under the sump but supporting very little weight.

The bike balances well like this, I jack it up to the desired height then lock the lift in place and strap the bike on 4 corners to it before working on her. Especially important if your removing wheels as this upsets the balance quite a bit :eek:

ScottishR3T, I have the exact same lift, and would f'n LOVE if you took a pic or two with the jack under the lift points you use. My dealer is asking $250 just for labor to swap out the tires, and I'm sure it'd be easy peasy if I can get my 2015 R3R in the air. Scared as hell to damage the sump, as others have mentioned. A quick photo tour of your solution would go a long way for us Rocket newbs. And marine ply...some special type of plywood? Canadian slang doesn't match up. :) Thank you huge in advance.

+1 on the Jack be Quick.
Also the Becker Tecknik Rocket 3 lifter maybe useful depending on your requirements.

Back