Also the Becker Tecknik Rocket 3 lifter maybe useful depending on your requirements.

I have one of these...easy to use....gets the rear wheel off the ground or by pushing down on the rear, the front comes off the ground...dont sit on the bike tho cos the pin which goes thru the frame on the bike is only 8mm...dont want to bend it...

So are you saying that it's okay to lift the bike by placing a jack underneath the sump?

I've jacked mine up at least 20 times using a ATV jack smack dab on the sump and have not hurt a thing. That sump isn't made of thin tin it's a big thick chunk of aluminum.

I'd rather keep the money I would have sent to Jack be Stupid in my pocket.

For the last 12yeras I have placed a piece of 3/4" plywood with a aunt sally(spinning plate ) attached to it that goes on my bike jack and under the engine I lift it up and spin the bike around so I can ride out of my bike shed instead of backing it out.

For a hundred bucks...it not worth the risk...buy the JBQ and do it right

Having made my own devices and tried several different ideas, the JBQ is the way to go. Money well spent for peace of mind. The problem is...there are several raised bosses on the bottom of the crankcase where the drain plugs are for example. If you get on those you are putting a tremendous amount of pressure on the crankcase at that point. The weight is not displaced equally. I just would not do it and some have implied they have damaged the cover.

My own ideas worked well but were more of a pain to setup and seemed to only focused on lifting the front of the bike. I put a flat 3/4" oak board surface across the arms of my lift. I slip the lift under the bike and up I go. The plus side is..if I am out and about, and i have a issue, like getting a tire replaced, just about any adequate lift at a dealer can pick it up with no fear of damage to the cover.

I don't know if was mention here but be sure and anchor your front fork straight.

I made a couple of adapters to fit in the lifting holes. The larger diameter 1/2" fits the older rockets and the smaller 5/16" fits the newer ones.
DSC01639.JPG

Years ago I made a paddock stand and an attachment for the R3. You can use the attachment with any quality ATV jack or similar. Instructions are in my signature. It will probably cost you less than $5.00 to make.

For a hundred bucks...it not worth the risk...buy the JBQ and do it right
As I said for the last twelve years I have spun the bike around using plywood and an aunt sally with no problem at all, so yes you most definitely can lift the bike up by the sump(underneath the engine) safely. Now I would not try it on the bikes with ABS

I made a couple of adapters to fit in the lifting holes. The larger diameter 1/2" fits the older rockets and the smaller 5/16" fits the newer ones.
DSC01639.JPG

That there is a good concept!
Simple and sweet!
Can you produce more of those blocks and pins?

Someone on another site was selling these small brackets that are easy to install and small and light enough to carry with your tools, in case you need a shop somewhere out there on the road to lift your bike.

I made some similar with thick angle iron, but instead of welding the pegs drilled holes and inserted bolts. Works great in combination with a standard ATV jack!

I seem to have misplaced mine, but will post pix whenever I find them.

Hey all! Thanks huge for the varied input, from the sump lifters to the fabricators. I went the Fab route, and enlisted the help of my entirely too talented Dad, who has all the right tools. Saw a solution like this on another thread here, and will send some credit your way when I get off the garage floor test fitting! Piece of 3x3 1/4" wall box tubing, 15" long, cut in half with torch and cleaned up. Notched it to fit over bolts on jack arms, and then welded on two angle iron uprights, drilled two 21/64ths holes, and bought a grade 10 8mm bolt as a pin. This will slide perfectly onto one of the ATV lift arms, and a piece of 2x4 across the other to help spread the load. Now, to track down a spare pair of hands to guide the bike up for her first test lift! Thanks again all.

Attachments

• 20180724_183939.jpg
    20180724_183939.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180724_183947.jpg
    20180724_183947.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180724_184158.jpg
    20180724_184158.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 70
Back