Installing RamAir filter ... Should I cut the BearClaw for better airflow ?

Mark your cut line with marker, thick duct tape inside & outside edge, cut with very thin dremmel cutting disc (it will cut square in sections) then round cut off with rotary stone on dremmel. smooth edges with fine file, then cover the edge with some small door edge guard made for automobile door edges from any auto parts store
Never though of using a dremmel cutting disk for this, neat idea, my claw is black and not chrome so probably easier to work with. I have a line on a used claw if that comes to be may try cutting it and keeping the stock.

Rick

Here is my before and after RamAir with Dyno tune install at Nel's last month. It is a pretty good increase across the entire rpm range. Very happy with result.

Last edited:
I have had the ramair on a previous R3 and found the bearclaw pushed down on it slightly by your left knee...no problems other than that tho.
Now i have triple K&N filters with chopped bearclaw. Looks great imo...sounds awesome too....air induction!!!
There has to be an advantage having better air flow into the throttle bodies by improving the air into your throttle bodies. The stock setup has air coming from behind and under you, thru a small filter, up thru plastic plenums then into the throttle bodies. It works but not as well as direct air induction. To benefit from all this, you should also create a better exhaust gas exit...e.g. headers and cans, which will let the motor relax and breathe.
If you were to block the air induction off completely the motor would soon choke so it makes sense to go all out and give it the best air it can get.
Choosing which system is a matter of personal preference.

My advice Good tuneecu tune and with aftermarket headers and pipes ( decat ) with OE type performance filter .
This will get you NOWHERE. The INTAKE restriction is NOT the filter itself - but rather all the ducting which especially between inner and outer plenums and the underseat snorkels are serious bottlenecks. Correctly goo'ed up the RamAir is fine. Airflow to RamAir - tbh on most NA bikes the filter is pulling in enough air over the top of the engine. Teh OZclam will help with a slightly cooler air charge - especially if you make a simple hotair wall twixt filter and engine

Just did my 2017 R3R with ramair and dave platt single slipon (one of the first), still have to upload video to youtube, will post this later today. I have to say, I've had a lot of bikes and performed many upgrades, a stock R3R with slipon, ramair and dyno'd is the most bang for the buck setup on any previous bike hands down. I left the bearclaw off, love the sound and the look, personal preference.

JR

Just did my 2017 R3R with ramair and dave platt single slipon (one of the first), still have to upload video to youtube, will post this later today. I have to say, I've had a lot of bikes and performed many upgrades, a stock R3R with slipon, ramair and dyno'd is the most bang for the buck setup on any previous bike hands down. I left the bearclaw off, love the sound and the look, personal preference.

JR
Hi Hubguru, did you get the bike Dyno'ed after fitting the single dave pRatt outlaw silencer?

My new RamAir filter is scheduled to arrive Monday. Going to install right away and download one of the tunes in resources. I have the 3 pipe TORs, Triumph cat eliminator and a Dobeck Performance AFR Plus.

If I can get the time off from work going to join RAA West to do some dyno tunng at Nel's on Thursday.

Should I cut my BearClaw to allow for cooler/better airflow ?

Does anybody have a chrome BearClaw to sell cheap ?
I have one bill and when I come backfrom europe I will send it to you ...free.. if you are interested. just shipping cost............ you interested!!!

Back