Installation of Neville Lush Racing "street" cams in 2014 Rocket III Touring

I thought I had read somewhere the counter-intuitive notion that the gaps get smaller with wear, and measurements too big (as these all are) are better than too small.

That is correct Paul.
The Valve sits in a particular place with the cam shaft directly above it.
As the Valve and Valve seat wear, the valve will move towards the Camshaft, this decrease's the clearance between the two.

Paul,

Did you at least take the shims out and measure them before you installed the new cams? It's a lot easier to do with the cams out although it can be done with the cams in place using Rocket Scientist's "U" shaped tool. That's what I just made and used to adjust 7 of my valves. 4 intake valves were tight and 3 exhaust ones were loose. Had to purchase 4 new shims. My old stock of 25mm shims covered the others. Making the tool took the longest amount of time. Fishing the shims out took patience ^%)*^%@%^&%#$

No, being my first time, I'm having a number of "Oh, I shudda had a V-8" moments.

I don't understand this shim business. I sure want to get the units right. And good gracious looking on the Hermy's web site those shims are listed in ten thousandths and I can't begin to measure to that level, so how would one decide to order a particular shim ? And wow, @$8.00 plus shipping, this could be a bit pricey.

No, being my first time, I'm having a number of "Oh, I shudda had a V-8" moments.

I don't understand this shim business. I sure want to get the units right. And good gracious looking on the Hermy's web site those shims are listed in ten thousandths and I can't begin to measure to that level, so how would one decide to order a particular shim ? And wow, @$8.00 plus shipping, this could be a bit pricey.

Yes you can - tis the feel of the sliding feeler.
Snug but free to slide . . .

My cams are the same base circle as stock, NO REGRINDS. If the shims are correct when you start they are a drop in. Saves 12 shims and a bunch of labor time on a job. You are only a very small amount wide. If the motor was not ticky before, you will be fine. Should have measured before starting my friend. More later

Back