Installation of Neville Lush Racing "street" cams in 2014 Rocket III Touring

Ayep, @Paul Bryant that be the tool.

Thanks to my daughter, she lined up the timing marks on the crank (as viewed through the inspection port), then she lined up the timing marks on both cams (first exhaust, then intake), then she installed the tool -- went right in thanks to her excellent job of placing the cams (I turned the wrench against the spring and she called, "A little more").

Now we've taken a short break, and the next step is to install the cam chain tensioner, and according to the manual, remove the timing jig and that's it.

I sure would like some more discussion about know how to ensure the chain is on the correct teeth of the drive gear.

Nice, I like the idea of clamping the chain to the gears.
Would save a lot of grief rather than having the chain jump off, or slip off the gears whilst setting it all up.

Well, according to the manual, one is suppose to lift the chain from each cam as they are set, so, one has to mess with the chain anyway, at least if following the Triumph instructions.

Well then, with that, kind sir, I will go out and finish this.

Thank you.

Joe,
I'm so happy for you that this is getting done! New cams really are fantastic, they not only give more power, but new noises too! Love seeing others get into the motor and unleashing the demons withing.

Paul is correct. The chain, if is not engaged properly on the dive gear, when you turn the engine BY HAND it will make a little clunk and your timing marks and tension will be off. When you think your ready to begin turning, just go back and forth a few degrees and listen. If all is good turn the motor thru 720 degrees and recheck the marks. Then if they all line up, do another 720 just to be doubly sure. :)

Wow ! Would you sell me one of those -- just in case someone over here needs it ? That is amazing.

(Oh by the way, with all the work I'm doing I'm finally getting around to installing your fancy overflow tank.)
Paul, this jig will be no good to you as it is for my slotted can gears

This sounds more complex than lining up all the marks. Am I silly to think I could just mark a tooth and link on each side and keep tension making sure it doesn't slip off the bottom.

@Joesmoe - would it not just have been easier to bribe @Neville Lush to pop over for a holiday? :D

I am jealous. I have to put my R3 back 100% standard to make sure it passes the MoT every 2 years (it's the ruddy emission shyte that kills me) . Refitting cams etc is too much like hard work. This is an MoT year too. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back