I'm considering buying a Triumph America

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I looked at a 2016 today and it was a beauty that ocal retired guy is selling. It is black, almost metalflake, and in like new condition with about 3200 miles on it. My wife even liked it and thinks I should buy it. I only sat on it and found it to be extremely comfortable. I read some old ride reports with the America getting very good reviews. $5500 is what he is asking. It has Triumph saddlebags and a passenger backrest/ rear rack plus one of those big round hard luggage bags with an attached rider backrest.

Has anyone owned one of these?

I have owned a 2012 with the 865 motor. I was impressed with it even two up it had good torque. Comfortable bike and can recommend.
You can get gel seats , after market pipes and all the other bits and bobs you may need. The 1200 motor would be great i'm thinking.

I looked at a 2016 today and it was a beauty that ocal retired guy is selling. It is black, almost metalflake, and in like new condition with about 3200 miles on it. My wife even liked it and thinks I should buy it. I only sat on it and found it to be extremely comfortable. I read some old ride reports with the America getting very good reviews. $5500 is what he is asking. It has Triumph saddlebags and a passenger backrest/ rear rack plus one of those big round hard luggage bags with an attached rider backrest.

Mike,
Jim @RKTNMYPKT has.
Is this a 1200cc?

No 865cc

2016 Triumph America LT

SPECIFICATIONS
ENGINE
  • BORE (MM)90
  • COMPRESSION RATIO9.2:1
  • COOLINGAir
  • DISPLACEMENT IN CC865
  • DISPLACEMENT IN CI52.8
  • ENGINE TYPEParallel Twin
  • STARTERElectric
  • STROKE68
  • VALVE CONFIGURATIONDOHC
TRANSMISSION
  • NUMER OF SPEEDS5
  • PRIMARY DRIVEGear
  • TRANSMISSION TYPEManual
TIRES
  • FRONT TIRE130/90 R16
  • REAR TIRE170/80 B15
BRAKES
  • FRONT BRAKE DIAMETER310
  • FRONT BRAKE TYPEHydraulic Disc
  • REAR BRAKE DIAMETER11.2
  • REAR BRAKE TYPEHydraulic Disc
SUSPENSION & STEERING
  • AIR ADJUSTABLENo
  • FRONT SUSPENSION BRAND NAMEKabaya
  • FRONT SUSPENSION TYPETelescopic Fork
  • REAR ADJUSTABLE REBOUND DAMPINGNo
  • REAR ADJUSTABLE SHOCK / SPRING PRE-LOADYes
  • REAR SUSPENSION BRAND NAMEKabaya
  • REAR SUSPENSION TYPETwin Sided Swing Arm
  • SEAT HEIGHT (IN)27.2
OTHER
  • FUEL CAPACITY (GAL)5.2
  • MANUFACTURER COUNTRYEngland
  • MANUFACTURER TYPECruiser
  • DRY WEIGHT (LBS)553
  • WHEELBASE (IN)63.4

20190303_131536.jpg

mine was a speedmaster...same only blacked out...

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a 2008 America and LOVED IT! Back then my bride didn't have her own bike so it was obviously two-up when she was with me... I upgraded to the Thunderbird
1127091212b-F.jpg
3 years later as my skills improved and because I wanted a little better response when two-up (and more than one bike was not in the cards at the time).
-MIG

I had the Bonnie with the 865 engine before the Rocket, and loved it. The America has a lopsided crank to give it a different feel, and seating is a bit more comfortable. Don't expect it to eat up interstate miles like the R3T though.

Thanks gents. A few things I should have included in my original post. I was doing the post using my pad, with typing tedious at best.

-My daughter had a 2006 Speedmaster and I put the original 55 miles on it for the first service prior to us departing for Daytona Bike Week in 2007. I found it to be heavy in the front end with the seating position difficult for me after about 150 miles. She had it accessorized with the tractor seat/seat rail and with the accessory floorboards. I found the power and torque to be quite adequate but of course, nothing compared to my 07 Classic. We bought them at the same time.

I read a few ride reports and factory spec on the 2016 before starting this thread and one report said that the Speedmaster and America had different rake and trail due to differing tire size. It observed that the Speedmaster more suitable for highway riding but a bit more heavy in the front end for local riding and commuting. Hmm. As I look at the pics of Tals Speedmaster and Michael G's America, it appears to be so. I did find my daughter's 06 to be heavy in the front end. My son, who now owns my 07 also found his sister's Speedmaster to be tiring during an all day ride.

The 2016 I viewed seemed to have a different front end with less rake than her Speedmaster and a much more comfortable bike. It also has floorboards similar to my Rocket in both positioning and design. The 06s were more like a Rocket standard that had been fitted with the accessory floorboards.

Quite candidly, I am looking for an alternative to my beautiful Rocket and I know there are many bikes out there I could be considering. I am starting to struggle with it post knee replacement surgery and as my other knee starts to fail. I had a nice ride on it Sunday and injured my new knee while riding it into my shop, setting my recovery back a bit. I just don't know how I'll be able to keep my incredible R3T. I'm trying not to believe it was a mistake to buy it but Sunday's ride and injury is telling me it was.

A good friend sold his big bike and bought a Bonnie. Jack is older than me and completely happy with the Bonnie, riding it to Sturgis via the back roads in 2015. Well he also just rode his Yamaha 200 TW to Fairbanks, AK last year.

Decisions, decisions. Then again, perhaps at 70 my riding days have come to an end.

Decisions, decisions. Then again, perhaps at 70 my riding days have come to an end.

PERISH the thought! ...you just have to adapt what and/or how you ride... :ninja: You're allowed to say this again when you're pushing 85... :D
-MIG

Back