ignition barrel relocation

I'm not sure if you saw my response on the other site.

The breakaway bolts are really soft so I just took a small flathead screwdriver and a hammer and made a groove in the bolt. Turned right out. Good luck.

it's a PITA no doubt,
but well worth the time and trouble to move it.
Perfect opportunity to do a headlight upgrade at the same time...;)
Took me half a day to do it.
not wanting to bugger anything up in the process.
Finally said F*** IT and whacked it off with a grinder.
I'm happy and it's all better now..:D
oh yes, alcohol WAS involved by the time I finally won the battle.
Good luck....

FINALLY..

I managed to remove those two pesky bolts holding the ignition barrel what a job see pic

for those who will attempt the relocation ,it has been done before and will be done by other but plan on a lot of frustration patience and special tools as well like dentist drill or picks or sledge hammer if all fails

I started mid day and 4 hrs later I got the bolts removed I could have ground the metal bracketing around the ignition that would have made it easier to get at the bolts holding the barrel I chose to try going around those brackets .I am putting things together tomorrow enough for one day..
I used some dental picks to turn the bolts holding the barrel after scoring the flange of the bolts , slowly I got the pick deep enough in the groove to get enough purchase and turn the bastards but it is the longest part of the job
also I had to cut the bracket holding a bunch of wires right behind the black molded plastic where the ignition goes , the ignition barrel is so long it it bumps on to that bracket and does not fit
third i use a longer bolt for the upper holding thread as the original is too short since the extra metal bracket from rivco once installed makes it just a smidgen too short

the key to it all is PATIENCE .. glad it is done

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 144
I plan on building a modern looking fairing this winter and the ignition location was a potential problem as I wish to install a rear view camera and gps in the fairing otherwise I would have left it alone..

Hi there, I relocated mine to the pastic shruod in front of the left sidecover with the kit from the states many moons ago. The kit worked perfectly and from what I can remember all the instructions were easy to follow. I believe that I drilled out the ignition bolts.
Cheers ScratchyDave

Attachments

• IMAG0036_BURST001.jpg
    IMAG0036_BURST001.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0037_BURST001.jpg
    IMAG0037_BURST001.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 91
interesting!! \

I tried to drill them out but I could not get a straight shot at the bolts with either the dremmell or the cordless drill how did you do it??? don't bother .. what's done is done

Please post somthing on how to get the bolts out. The heads are broke off mine and has epoxy inside with what is left of the screw. :mad:

Please post somthing on how to get the bolts out. The heads are broke off mine and has epoxy inside with what is left of the screw. :mad:

the heads are broken off at the factory as an anti-theft measure (look at my pics of the removed bolts on the initial thread you will see what they look like )
I have not heard of " locked with epoxy glue " that is not a factory procedure at least all the captains who have relocated the ignition barrel never mentioned this problem
I do not understand where you saw the exact location of epoxy if it was used on the thread of the bolts or on the outside .
in any case all I can think of is to get a minitorch and heat the head till it burns the epoxy completely then while still hot and soft sharpen a small screwdriver standard blade and notch the flange of the bolt then hammer it in counterclockwise motion till you see it rotate it takes time and patience or like some have done when patience was no longer an option grind away at the brackets and drill the bolts out.
good luck

Back