ignition barrel relocation

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
has anybody relocated the ignition barrel from current location to wherever they thought might be a better place ..please chime in and explain HOW YOU GOT THE TWO TAMPER PROOF BOLTS REMOVED

I have spent the past 2 hrs trying to figure How to get to these minuscule bolts for which the head has been snapped off at the factory and I cannot think of any tools that will get in that tiny area.. suggestions? no I cannot get a drill bit in there either short of a very long flexible dremmel extension with a tiny cutting wheel.. I will wait for suggestion before getting too frustrated..

oops !! forgot to mention R3 classic

They used to have soem kind of relocation switch that went on the little side infil panel where the special electrical socket went. IDK went keyless there is a thread on this site also with good pictures.

there is some usefull info here

thanks Hans
I read the details
but what I really need to know is what removal tools will fit in the recess where the two headless bolts are located I have a dremmell and I cannot get anywhere close I tried to notch the bolt but the angle does not give me any purchase on the bolt even tried to get between the holding and the barrel with a saw blade ..no luck .. I will have to sleep on it

thanks Hans
I read the details
but what I really need to know is what removal tools will fit in the recess where the two headless bolts are located I have a dremmell and I cannot get anywhere close I tried to notch the bolt but the angle does not give me any purchase on the bolt even tried to get between the holding and the barrel with a saw blade ..no luck .. I will have to sleep on it
Just Spoke to Mal (the Kiwi) and he was helped by a mechanic when he did his they used a dremil with a grind (like a little dentist bit) and grond the head of then it just sliped straight off he said it took them 3 hours

Hi mate, my mechanic did mine. Took him 25 mins and apparently the harder part was extending the wiring as the Rivco kit I bought didn't work on the roaster. I know that's no help but their must be an easy way. I'll see if I can call him and find out.

Hi mate, my mechanic did mine. Took him 25 mins and apparently the harder part was extending the wiring as the Rivco kit I bought didn't work on the roaster. I know that's no help but their must be an easy way. I'll see if I can call him and find out.

what!! the wires are too short for the roadster!! I bought a rivco kit as well that is all I need now finding the wires are too short jeeesus!!
ok calming down having a drink it is just a bad dream ,

by the way how are you doing with the back rest brackets? I put some money aside for them but christmas is inching along and the wife may pilfer the cash stash.

Just Spoke to Mal (the Kiwi) and he was helped by a mechanic when he did his they used a dremil with a grind (like a little dentist bit) and grond the head of then it just sliped straight off he said it took them 3 hours

3 hours !! nuff said maybe I will put it right back

It is worth every minute, I have a 2006 Classic and it was a a bugger of a job and then some but I'm pleased with the result.

Rivco kit worked as designed.

Cheers,
Mal the Kiwi.

It is worth every minute, I have a 2006 Classic and it was a a bugger of a job and then some but I'm pleased with the result.

Rivco kit worked as designed.

Cheers,
Mal the Kiwi.

thanks for the reply re the wire length

I also have a 2006 classic you know the yellow one (must be the only one on this forum ) I am going to try to find a long narrow grinding bit for the dremmel tool and see if I can get to the bolt heads .
why did triumph do such a ridiculous system of protecting the ignition barrelfrom dismantling , any thief would not bother trying to unbolt the barrel he would smash the head with a hammer then connect the wires.

Back