idle stall and warm up?

How long do you let your bike warm up in the morning before riding?

• Total voters

xrays

Old Guys Rule
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Guys,
I've had my R3R for about a week now - it's my daily driver and I commute with it. Other than arriving to work with a permanent silly grin on my face, I've noticed a pattern. If i don't let it warm up, the bike stalls with the clutch-in, in 1st gear at my first light (about .5 mile). After the bike warms up, it does not do this again.

Question: So how long do you let your bike warm up after starting it first thing, but before riding?

I have no clue. Being in a northern climate I do let my bikes warm up in the spring and fall for the first start up of the day. After that and during the summer months I don't even start the bike until the wife and I are on board.

There are those days when I will back her out of the garage and start her up on the road just so I can walk around her and marvel.

Guys,
I've had my R3R for about a week now - it's my daily driver and I commute with it. Other than arriving to work with a permanent silly grin on my face, I've noticed a pattern. If i don't let it warm up, the bike stalls with the clutch-in, in 1st gear at my first light (about .5 mile). After the bike warms up, it does not do this again.

Question: So how long do you let your bike warm up after starting it first thing, but before riding?

If it is a brand new bike I would tell you to do the 12 minute tune.
I will also tell you that the bike will be better after the 500 mile oil change.
And check the torque of as many nuts and bolts you can.

If it is a brand new bike I would tell you to do the 12 minute tune.
I will also tell you that the bike will be better after the 500 mile oil change.
And check the torque of as many nuts and bolts you can.
Sorry for the noob question, but what is the 12 minute tune?

Sorry for the noob question, but what is the 12 minute tune?

Start the bike up. Wait for the fan to start running. let the bike idle for say 15 minutes without touching anything. Turn it off.

Suppose to self adjust stuff. I just got my bike April of 2017 so I am not that far ahead of you. Just a ton of enlightenment from the great people here.

Wait You are in California. I am not sure I like you? You get to ride all year round? I live in Indiana. I am in winter hibernation.

Put some more miles on your bike if it is new. There have been posts here about the rocket suddenly stalling without reason. It really is crazy and dangerous if you take off in a turn. I had this happen several times when my bike was new, but the problem went away after I got more miles on it. The first couple times it happened to me I thought.. what the f....K. It seems to be a commonly reported quirk and no one has ever figured out why. I don't think it is a warmup issue...just a quirk. I bet it will stop doing it with more miles.

Last edited:
I usually give it 20 seconds or so from a cold start and 5 or so from a hot start like at a gas station.

Haven’t read all the replies but the short version is:

Allowing a motor to “warm up” is the absolute worst thing you can do to a modern engine.

Explanation: The motor takes an extremely long time to reach operating temperature at idle. Under light load, such as driving with gentle throttle inputs and low-ish RPM, the motor will reach operating temp in a much much shorter time period. During an idle warm up you’re forcing the engine to run with less than ideal oiling.

The warm up concept primarily came to be as the result of chokes on carburetors, since they’re long gone, there is no longer a need for an extended warm up. It’s only necessary to wait the few seconds until oil has pressurized the entire system, typically 3-5 seconds.

I usually give it 20 seconds or so from a cold start and 5 or so from a hot start like at a gas station.

Haven’t read all the replies but the short version is:

Allowing a motor to “warm up” is the absolute worst thing you can do to a modern engine.

Explanation: The motor takes an extremely long time to reach operating temperature at idle. Under light load, such as driving with gentle throttle inputs and low-ish RPM, the motor will reach operating temp in a much much shorter time period. During an idle warm up you’re forcing the engine to run with less than ideal oiling.

The warm up concept primarily came to be as the result of chokes on carburetors, since they’re long gone, there is no longer a need for an extended warm up. It’s only necessary to wait the few seconds until oil has pressurized the entire system, typically 3-5 seconds.
I’ve heard similar recommendations on all my vehicles. I start mine up and idle while getting the helmet on and ride down the hill for 200 yards to my first stop. I then ride for two or three miles with light throttle . After that the bike is ready for full operation.

I’ve used this same technique on my sport touring car and find that is what it takes to come up to proper operating temperature.

Back