idle stall and warm up?

How long do you let your bike warm up in the morning before riding?

• Total voters
The times you stop and it doesn't stall does it idle real low (like 4 or 5 hundred rpm's) and then recover to normal idle speed ? Mine did that long ago and I ended up raising the base idle speed with the painted yellow "never touch this" screw. Haven't had the problem since.
Im sure there is some kind of tolerance on the opening distance. In fact it eould make me wonder if when one is set at tbe smallest tolerance does the vacuum created by closing the throttle duck it a little to far starving the air quickly? Just thinking out loud as a lot of times its tweaking. Things to remember if you set the primary tps and then balance the throttle bodies by adjusting the two screws on the primary throttle shaft in theroy the only way your tps position would not move is if each screw was moved the exact amount opposite the other. Ehat are the odds on that.

On mine for example, coming off the highway the idle would drop to about 400 rpm's and it would buck like the choke was on. It usually didn't stall, and after about 3 seconds the stepper would catch up and idle would return to normal speed. Also if you watch the stepper signal on your laptop it appears that it drops to zero when the throttle is open more than a few seconds. When you close the throttle there is a bit of latency until it takes control again. That's why I believe the base (mechanical) idle has to be somewhere around 600 rpm without intervention from the stepper.

on some vehicles i have seen them wear and the throttle plate sticks making it hard to push the gas pedal the first little bit. so i take the do not adjust screw and turn it in a 1/4 or 1/2 to get rid of the hard spot.
also when some one turns it up high to counter a problem i adjust it back down by using the tps.
on the computer cars the tps plays hell with the transmission shifting.
on cars the comp has set figures until it goes into close loop then the comp starts adjusting so may be the idle should be raised a little if stalling. edit raised with tunecu.
i would not get carried away with that fixed adjust to correct a problem, but like said a little might help.

on some vehicles i have seen them wear and the throttle plate sticks making it hard to push the gas pedal the first little bit. so i take the do not adjust screw and turn it in a 1/4 or 1/2 to get rid of the hard spot.
also when some one turns it up high to counter a problem i adjust it back down by using the tps.
on the computer cars the tps plays hell with the transmission shifting.
on cars the comp has set figures until it goes into close loop then the comp starts adjusting so may be the idle should be raised a little if stalling. edit raised with tunecu.
i would not get carried away with that fixed adjust to correct a problem, but like said a little might help.

I've fixed the sticking pedal on many people's cars with the do no touch screw. If you take it in, they will sell you a new throttle body.

I raised the idle within TuneEcu, and still have the drop off to 4 or 5 hundred, then back up to 900rpm where I set it in TuneEcu. I'm going to tickle the yellow screw.

If you look at the mechanism, you'll see that there is some linkage between the butterflies and the yellow screw. I think it wears some, and throws off the factory base idle setting.

i was not recommending this be done:eek:
however if u accept this mission:cool:
it would be nice if u had the tps reading and the stepper reading then raise turn 1/4 and post reading change. then if need be go to 1/2 and record readings.
as far as i know no one but the scientist:) has done this on a rocket.

I'll see what I can do. Today, I mounted 2 Avon front tires. One for my 2013, and one for one of my 05's, along with new wheel bearings and seals. Busted my poor old butt and back. Tomorrow have a new Avon rear already mounted to a spare wheel, to install in one of the 05's, and install the mounted Avon front on my 2013. I have a spare front and rear wheel, to make things easier, at least for me. I'll try to hook up TuneEcu before I touch the magic screw, and see what happens. I already cleaned the stepper motor, but will probably have to tinker with the clearance thing, and another ISCV, after the magic screw. So many details!:banghead:

Back