Honeymoon Over?

Sorry, i wasnt laughing at you but yes it makes things better...its cool having old school but better having things like current fuel usage..ABS brakes...different ride modes..indicators that turn off..heated grips...traction control...etc etc....its real nice having modern stuff.
I guess I am really one to talk. I have tire pressure warning and my iPhone mounted to the bars for navigation and other conveniences, bluetooth speakers in the helmet, and I embrace ABS brakes, etc.

But the display shutting down the bike is just too much. I would be happy with the very basic display options of the 2.3s. I am concerned that something will take place that no one with our mechanical skills can sort out without the dealer's specific diagnostic tools.

Sorry, i wasnt laughing at you but yes it makes things better...its cool having old school but better having things like current fuel usage..ABS brakes...different ride modes..indicators that turn off..heated grips...traction control...etc etc....its real nice having modern stuff.
Hey, no offence taken Tal.....I thought you were having a bit of fun but not at me, so all good.
I know what you're saying, and I was amazed that my bike had all this stuff on it......well who wouldn't be, I guess. That's the 'added value' sales catch when you swing a leg over the bike in the showroom. At that point you're taking it all in and you're in sensory overload. The fancy features are also kinda helping to ease the man maths while you're reading the price tag, cos you're already falling for the shiny beast.....but then you have to live with these multitude of electronic features once you've emptied your wallet and the thing is now your responsibility.
If you have full faith in the latest tech then I guess there's nothing to be concerned about. I'm probably just a bit of a relic, because back-when, I never used to be concerned. If something went wrong, 9 times out of 10 I could fix it myself, but now I pretty much just look at the diagnostic socket, scratch my head and call the tow truck.....I once was free. Now i'm at someone else's mercy......I'm not good with that thought.
I put that issue to the back of my mind cos i'm in lust with the beast, but......you know....

My friends can't believe I'm loving my new bike, compared to all the other bikes I own, but it does everything a motorcycle should do....slowly, lol. It will do 62 mph flat out on level ground, good enough to use the paved roads to get to some other dirt roads. You can probably fix almost anything on it with a crescent wrench and a screwdriver.
20230104_155112.jpg

Ride an 70's bike and you will think it has no brakes...LOL I prefer less tech but these new bikes are in my opinion more reliable, better brkes, better motors, better transmissions. Seems most issues are electric crap. All manufacturers seem to be making bikes harder to work on, special tools required and odd engineering. Dealers make more money in the back of the house.

Ride an 70's bike and you will think it has no brakes...LOL I prefer less tech but these new bikes are in my opinion more reliable, better brkes, better motors, better transmissions. Seems most issues are electric crap. All manufacturers seem to be making bikes harder to work on, special tools required and odd engineering. Dealers make more money in the back of the house.
True....
......That said a number of years ago one of my neighbours asked me if I would take his 1935 Velocette 350 MAC to a bike show and bike parade while he rode his other bike, a 500 Matchless. I said sure!...no problem. That will be fun.
So on the day, he wheeled it over to me and went to get the Matchless and away we went.....out through the small town and into the countryside (all on the level so far) and i'm thinking to myself, hey this is great......i'm riding an icon...a Velo....what's not to like. .....Right?
Well just before the next town there was a (not very steep) hill with some traffic lights at the very bottom......they went red as I approached some distance away and I decided it was time to brake.........virtually nothing happened........I pulled harder & pressed harder.......still not enough to stop going down the incline.......I began to panic as I got about 20 yards from the lights and in desperation I improvised with my feet on the tarmac......lol....
Let me tell you, 70's brakes aren't that bad, believe me.

It's so light, the brakes seem fine. Plus I'm usually only braking from 25 or 30 mph on a gravel/sand road.

Well my TFC wouldn’t start so I trailered it into the shop. Diagnostics shows the display(TFT) has died and I need a new one. $1200 out the door but on back order with no delivery date. Chit happens to us all.
Well that's just plain bad luck... The part that really frustrates me is the backorder status and the fact there is no delivery date... Have that many display TFTs failed? Don't tell me Triumph is still waiting for electronic chips. Most of the autos that were sold without heated seats/steering wheels and the like have received and are installing those chipsets in those vehicles sold without them.

Is your TFC still under warranty? Does the TFC use a different display piece than a regular GT or R? What about getting a used one off the net?

Thanks for all the replies. I will visit the dealer and check out the situation but they have always done good work for me. The display would light up but not display all the normal information like gear or neutral . The fuel pump did not prime up and there was no response when pushing the starter button to start it. Certainly no rust or corrosion. The warranty was expired. I’m more disapointed in the lack of part availability than the cost. I will of course update when we get it fixed. I’m not soured on the bike or Triumph motorcycles and just understand all mechanical things can fail. I do however appreciate the simplicity of the older Rocket III.

Thanks for all the replies. I will visit the dealer and check out the situation but they have always done good work for me. The display would light up but not display all the normal information like gear or neutral . The fuel pump did not prime up and there was no response when pushing the starter button to start it. Certainly no rust or corrosion. The warranty was expired. I’m more disapointed in the lack of part availability than the cost. I will of course update when we get it fixed. I’m not soured on the bike or Triumph motorcycles and just understand all mechanical things can fail. I do however appreciate the simplicity of the older Rocket III.
Where r u gonna take to

Back