ROCKPMI

Standard Bore
Ride
triumph rocket III
Hi, I've got a 2005 Rocket that ever since I bought it over 6 years ago has been overheating (no problems except burnt legs yet). In the last few months I've noticed it's getting hotter and hotter (I live in Mallorca where the average temperature is around 30ºC during the summer months) to the point where I carry my keys on a clip on the back of my trousers and they are hot to the touch almost to the point of burning. The other day I found that the side panels where hot to the touch. I imagine this can't be normal (yes I'm a total mechanical dunce) but any idea what could be the problem or solution? I'd ask the local dealer but their mechanic has to download the manual every time I go in for a oil change ..... Cheers in advance for any help given

First check your coolant level. It should be at the minimum line in the expansion tank when the bike is cold. Do you know if your radiator fan is switching on? Run your bike (stationary). The fan should turn on after a few minutes, then cycle on and off as the engine heat requires. Good luck

This is like going to the doctor and saying I don’t feel well and then hoping you will be cured.

It is going to have to be a process of elimination...based on what you’ve stated it’s getting hot but not overheating?
Based on that assumption I would check the coolant level, oil level and make sure the fan is working.
If there has been any modifications to the air and/or exhaust, it could be a bad tune.

As Jason mentioned, we need some specifics. You stated it is overheating.... is the dash indicating an overheating condition or is the engine just radiating too much heat? I'm guessing too much heat.
- What type of exhaust do you have on the bike? Many of the aftermarket exhausts radiate a lot more heat than the stock one.
- Has the engine tune been adjusted? A lean running engine will put more heat into the system especially the exhaust.
- Can you hear the fan running at all. (you didn't state when it was getting hot... idling, on the highway riding, or both)
- Do you have any special rad cover embellishers on the bike that might restrict flow through the rad?
- Are the fan blades damaged at all?
- Coolant level???
- How clean is the engine case??? Is it covered in mud???
- Type of engine oil - (usually not an issue)
- Don't forget to check the condition of the coolant. Not sure if you have added coolant but some are not compatible when mixed and can jell/block coolant passages in the rad and engine. A rad flush is then in order.

Just guessing here and throwing out some ideas?????

If you have TuneECU downloaded on your computer and a proper cable, you can monitor the coolant temp and see it climb and fall with the fan turning off and on around 190 degrees F.

Last edited:
Hi, I've got a 2005 Rocket that ever since I bought it over 6 years ago has been overheating (no problems except burnt legs yet). In the last few months I've noticed it's getting hotter and hotter (I live in Mallorca where the average temperature is around 30ºC during the summer months) to the point where I carry my keys on a clip on the back of my trousers and they are hot to the touch almost to the point of burning. The other day I found that the side panels where hot to the touch. I imagine this can't be normal (yes I'm a total mechanical dunce) but any idea what could be the problem or solution? I'd ask the local dealer but their mechanic has to download the manual every time I go in for a oil change ..... Cheers in advance for any help given
Just a quick quessie - What colour is the bike?
And another - IS IT 100% ORIGINAL and has it always been so? - If not - what has been altered.
Up here in Madrid - it gets 'ot too. And we have after all just finished a really hefty heat wave.

There are one or two things one could look at - but if you're not a techie and your local tech is non-plussed it sort of makes life difficult. Especially remote.

How are you with PC's etc? - because that's where one needs to start - data collection and analysis.

But when was the coolant last changed and fan operation last checked. ??

Back