Antifreeze overflow from reservoir

Old rocket man

.020 Over
Ride
2007 rocket 3 classic tourer
Is it normal for a little puddle of antifreeze on the ground after a ride in warm weather. This has happened a few times on my 2007 rocket 111 classic tourer but I fill the reservoir to its proper level when engine is cold and haven’t added much at all and never added to radiator. I’m thinking maybe check when engine is running with radiator cap off until thermostat opens and check it at that point but not sure. Motorcycle runs great with no issues at all except this one Thanks for any info on this and I hope it’s a normal thing!

Good morning sir,

It is not normal. I did a shoddy coolant replacement on mine a few years back and I came to find my coolant had geysered out of my overflow tank under the seat and blasted everywhere. I was less than thrilled. It was 100% the result of me not making sure there was not any air left in the cooling system. No need to be alarmed, it's not the end of the world however, I would source and fix the leak if it were my bike.

You need to check that the coolant cap is working correctly...
Here is a good way to check for head gasket issue.
Bleed the system properly and have the overflow at minimum level. Let it idle till the fans come on. Let it cool down over night or a few hours. If the level in the tank is about the same, might drop a touch then the cap is working correctly. Go for a ride, come back, check level... of it's over filled then you have an issue with the headgasket.
Had the exact same issue with my ninja ex500. Had to have the head skimmed.
Check to make sure that the coolant temperature sensor and the fan are working correctly as they may not be leading to a overheat and a head warp.

a lot of the guys rockets have kicked out the water/antifreeze that it does not want
have not heard of head gasket leaking water.
if you want to check when it is cold then take off the cap when it is cold (this is assuming that the bleed next to thermostst was bleed at sometime) if it is full aand the water runs out off tank then just refill tank to low level and if it pisses out a little don't worry about it.

a lot of the guys rockets have kicked out the water/antifreeze that it does not want
have not heard of head gasket leaking water.
if you want to check when it is cold then take off the cap when it is cold (this is assuming that the bleed next to thermostst was bleed at sometime) if it is full aand the water runs out off tank then just refill tank to low level and if it pisses out a little don't worry about it.
I’m taking your lead on this one Turbo. My rocket is running too good in between the pees so I’m not too worried about it but I’ll keep an eye on it and keep the 50/50 antifreeze at the correct mark on the reservoir

Attachments

• 1539058C-A7D1-450F-B610-0897AC3A243D.jpeg
    1539058C-A7D1-450F-B610-0897AC3A243D.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 9
the ONLY time this should or can happen when its normal is when you flush add or fill the system and don't get all the air out and it burps a bit but that is caused by steam pockets.
these rockets are EASY to bleed when filling and i have never seen any system continue to dump coolant.
Head gasket failure DUE to a warpped head caused by overheating from a bad fan or temp sender will do so by combustion gasses entering the coolant system displacing the coolant. Its easy to check if this is doing this by both the way i mentioned above and also a test kit that tests for exhaust gasses contaminating the coolant.
Usually these bikes need topping off now and again, not the other way around.

I’m taking your lead on this one Turbo. My rocket is running too good in between the pees so I’m not too worried about it but I’ll keep an eye on it and keep the 50/50 antifreeze at the correct mark on the reservoir
If its continuing to puke coolant even a little, you need to investigate WHY. my ninja ran like a champ but pushed coolant back out until i did the head work. Same with my overboosted TDI. if it is a head issue you can be guaranteed that if not monitored it could total the engine. Not worth the risk of ignoring it. Simple top test for.

Back