Very rough idle; only from cold !

JohnPanter

.020 Over
Sutton in Ashfield (5 minutes from J28 M1
Ride
2004 Rocket supercharged,Hayabusa, GL1800
Been unable to find this issue in previous threads. Hope someone has dealt with it. So when starting - only from cold - my 2013 roadster starts up, but idles very unevenly. It usually stalls a few times in the first 3-4 minutes whilst it is warming up. Once the bike transitions to 'warm' , it idles as smooth as a Guinness. No further issues all day as long as the bike doesn't completely cool down.
I'm guessing it may be to do with the cold start sequence and any associated stepper commands.
Anyone got any experience of this? I can't be the only one.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello fellow supercharged Rocket and Hayabusa bro.
Was it always like this? Or started suddenly or gradually over time?

First step I would do is an ISCV reset, and strongly consider replacing the primary TPS given the age of the bike if it hasn't already been done since 2010ish.

Hello fellow supercharged Rocket and Hayabusa bro.
Was it always like this? Or started suddenly or gradually over time?

First step I would do is an ISCV reset, and strongly consider replacing the primary TPS given the age of the bike if it hasn't already been done since 2010ish.
Hi, So it started and idled from cold perfectly . . . . then 2 mornings later, I started her up as usual and it idled from cold very unevenly; missing and hunting, like an injector was occasionally blocking. 3 minutes later (when the ECU recognizes that the engine is now warm) it starts idling smoothly on its own. It then runs perfectly until the next cold start. I'm reluctant to blame the TPS, because once warm the bike runs faultlessly. I will have to look up the 'ISCV Reset', as I haven't done it before (never had to).

So this is now resolved. Had to change out the silencer (muffler), for a legal one, prior to France roadtrip. During the swap, I noticed the Lambda sensor wires - exiting the rubber plug on the sensor - had been chafing due to insufficient clearance to the adjacent metal cover. The insulation on two of the four wires exiting the sensor, had been cut and the copper exposed. I spent some time to re-insulate the wires with kapton tape, before grinding away a little more clearance. ITS A MIRACLE. On starting up the bike from cold - with the quieter silencer - the bike starts, and warms up normally.

Back