Help! Poor running and I want to go to Sturgis

Much wiser minds have commented on this than I and I assure you I know nothing compared to them. BUT some years ago I had what sounds like a similar problem with my ‘09. Erratic idle and would chugg chug on acceleration and sometimes would clear. Worse when hot or even just warmed up. We went through everything mentioned above and more, replaced map sensor, loaded various tunes, new spark plugs, even had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned. Nothing worked. As a last resort I put a new set of plug leads on. Bingo! It was perfect. If your coils are fine, it could be a leads. Just a thought.
I really think that's a possibility. Sadly I have limited tool part ect. Hopefully the shop will have something tomorrow 🤞

Okay the saga continues I got the bike back this morning. It is ridable somewhat when defined loosely. The shop told me I somehow had two maps and that were fighting each other. The problem is they loaded what I think is a stock map. So at cruise throttle rpms it lean surges and sometimes cough from the intake. I'm thinking of reloading my original tune file. But I really don't wanna screw things up worse. The tuner I. Seattle said that wasn't possible for that to happen also.

My anxiety is peaked and I'm not thinking clearly, I'm open to suggestions. The good news it's it doesn't sound like a parts issue.

I don't have much to offer at this point.

I remember back in the early days of computers, there would be unexplainable glitches, and someone from the finance department would call asking what is the problem, and when they could get back to work, and the head guy would respond, "There's a glutch on the tazmu, and we're working on it."

That's what the dealer told you.

I don't have much to offer at this point.

I remember back in the early days of computers, there would be unexplainable glitches, and someone from the finance department would call asking what is the problem, and when they could get back to work, and the head guy would respond, "There's a glutch on the tazmu, and we're working on it."

That's what the dealer told you.
There is definitely a glitch on the tamzu lol.

I am speaking only from what happened to me when I was only about 300 miles from home and bike started running bad and had a miss.

Yes I could have fixed on the side of the road but I just rode at the speed limit and it ran fine.

But I knew what had happened so wasn't that concerned.

It was the spade terminals on the one coil had come loose and I knew it as had happened before it was a right pita to get it back on as I over crimped it but finally with the help of a screwdriver i forced back on and no trouble since.

I am speaking only from what happened to me when I was only about 300 miles from home and bike started running bad and had a miss.

Yes I could have fixed on the side of the road but I just rode at the speed limit and it ran fine.

But I knew what had happened so wasn't that concerned.

It was the spade terminals on the one coil had come loose and I knew it as had happened before it was a right pita to get it back on as I over crimped it but finally with the help of a screwdriver i forced back on and no trouble since.
Apologies for not responding phar2slo, it's been a crazy month.

So I think it turned out to be the TPS sensor. It would randomly freak out under heat vibration idk. Basically it would cause it to run crazy rich and die or not idle at all. I couldn't catch it in the act, until I got my bike back from Denver yesterday. It sat at the dealership while they seemingly poked at it with a stick perhaps... Anyway I got lucky and it finally threw a code. Tps voltage low. Luckily thanks to you guys I ordered a tps when this started. Swapped them out and now; lol tune ECU won't connect unless the ignition is off. So I can't adjust it properly. I ran the bike and it seams to work great. It idled hot for about 20min with no issues, hesitation, or idle problems.

I've contacted tune ECU about the problem hopefully they are better then the dealerships that gladly waisted my time and took my money. But does anyone have any ideas why it would connect only with the power off? I've used two cables, two phones and a laptop and I get the same red flashing "TPS light", as it's referred to in this forum. Slow flash and then pause.
I know you will ask the battery is new. I had my charger connected and a separate battery for good measure. The voltage never drops below 12.5 verified with a multimeter.

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_203425724.jpg
    IMG_20200913_203425724.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 11
Apologies for not responding phar2slo, it's been a crazy month.

So I think it turned out to be the TPS sensor. It would randomly freak out under heat vibration idk. Basically it would cause it to run crazy rich and die or not idle at all. I couldn't catch it in the act, until I got my bike back from Denver yesterday. It sat at the dealership while they seemingly poked at it with a stick perhaps... Anyway I got lucky and it finally threw a code. Tps voltage low. Luckily thanks to you guys I ordered a tps when this started. Swapped them out and now; lol tune ECU won't connect unless the ignition is off. So I can't adjust it properly. I ran the bike and it seams to work great. It idled hot for about 20min with no issues, hesitation, or idle problems.

I've contacted tune ECU about the problem hopefully they are better then the dealerships that gladly waisted my time and took my money. But does anyone have any ideas why it would connect only with the power off? I've used two cables, two phones and a laptop and I get the same red flashing "TPS light", as it's referred to in this forum. Slow flash and then pause.
I know you will ask the battery is new. I had my charger connected and a separate battery for good measure. The voltage never drops below 12.5 verified with a multimeter.
Tuneecu updated last nigh and everything seams to work perfectly. Lesson learned to anyone rocket TPS sensors are junk, be sure to have a few around.

Tuneecu updated last nigh and everything seams to work perfectly. Lesson learned to anyone rocket TPS sensors are junk, be sure to have a few around.

I finally had some time to dig in to this TPS sensor and figure out why it failed. The reason became evident pretty quick when I started grinding the plastic housing away. I found It was full of fuel. I wish I had some clue just how it got in there. Maybe bad tuning from my random map trying days? Maybe the RAMAIR doesn't cause enough vacuum allowing stray fuel to find its path? I'm considering packing the cavity full of grease in hopes of permanently solving this issue. But I'd really like to hear your opinions on how this happened, and how to fix it. A TPS sensor should last way longer than 30,000 MI.

I did figure out an early warning symptom. When cruising on the straight and level if you find it's difficult to maintain a speed, at and annoying level. This is definitely a sign of a bad TPS, my bike no longer does this.

IMG_20200930_113448074.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the TPS on my 2012 Roadster this spring with the same symptoms. The old one was contaminated with fuel also. I wonder if the odd backfire causes this problem??? My ride doesn't backfire often but over a few years it might be enough to cause this. The new TPS corrected my stalling/run poor issue at low speed.

I replaced the TPS on my 2012 Roadster this spring with the same symptoms. The old one was contaminated with fuel also. I wonder if the odd backfire causes this problem??? My ride doesn't backfire often but over a few years it might be enough to cause this. The new TPS corrected my stalling/run poor issue at low speed.
So you had exactly the same problem I did!!! Even down to the back fire. Thanks for letting me know. I plan to try and put an o-ring on that shaft and packing the area full of dielectric grease. Then periodic inspections I'll let you know how it goes Gregger. Suspect the unburnt fuel evaporates, after shutdown period condenses on the throttle plates and runs into the bearing. Who knows lol!

Back