Heat shield for Viking pipes

20180711_165709.jpg

Obviously I watch these posts closely.

I personally have had no issue's what so ever with heat off my headers (same as everyone else's)
I do realise that ambient temps can/do play into this, and of coarse if you are in the City stopped at a stop light with ambient temps of 90°+F, 32° C, then move 200 yards and stop again you are going to have a problem.

I'm running one of Sleeve's constantly changing (improving) Tunes, and like Sonny said, the tune can make a huge difference.

This is the KEY point, the TUNE that you are running.
I don't believe that the majority of people realise just how sophisticated, and critical, the tuning of these modern vehicles is.
For example, I constantly get over 45MPG (based on a tank full use in varying ride conditions) and no heat issue's.

Have you ever wondered why it takes a Tuner a day to set up a Rocket completely, and properly ?

I will say tuning is huge. When I 1st put these pipes on with a map suggested for ramair and viking exhaust I got toasted, then fabricated heat shields. After getting a tune from Paul and Sleeves. The temperature dropped 300 f huge improvement.
Where I live it's very difficult to find a tuner for this bike. My set-up is very comfortable to ride now. And I do so with a big grin. Without the forward controls I would remove the shields I made. The compliments I receive on my exhaust are very numerous.
Open to any leads on a good tuner in Southern Minnesota. I get 29 to 30 miles US gal.

Paul,
Have you looked at making a heat shield for your pipes? Mine is running beautifully now, but the heat in Adelaide is a problem. I am going to wrap the pipes, but I don't like the look.
I figure that any shield you make would be designed not to spoil the looks. Besides, it might be another income stream for you.

Hey form follows function. If it works for you that is great.

Any thing that improves the engines ability to pump more air can improve it's performance. However if more air is going through the engine but it is still receiving the same amount of fuel then the mix can become lean and hotter.
Once worked on a Corvette small block, heads, cam, headers, intake etc. Buddy insisted on using the stock 4 barrel carb. Fired up and in a short time headers were glowing red. Re-jetted new Holley all good.
Also want to point out that this is not something unique to Paul's headers, a good header that improves flow can change the AF ratio. Actually if it doesn't has it improved the engine breathing at all?
A good tune can adjust the AF to take advantage of the engines improved breathing, reduce heat and increase performance.

But a good heat shield still just makes sense to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Back