Heat shield for Viking pipes

Kirkland, Wa and San Antonio, TX are quite the jaunt from Las Vegas... 1100 miles and 1200 miles one way.

Guess I'll just get it dynod here and simply check for lean condition... I could buy a power commander

Those are just the two I have been to.
Surely there must be more?
I was at a large and very good Triumph dealer in Vegas with Jim @RKTNMYPKT a couple summers ago, Freedom Cycles.
They are now called Euro Cycles (Triumph & BMW) and they tell me they have a dynamometer.
Whether they have a tuner competent in Tune ECU, I do not know.

I love my Viking pipes but like all custom pipes they tend to turn your your right leg into a bratwurst that's been forgotten on the barbe... even more of a problem in Las Vegas temperatures above 40C... So, I made several patterns and had a guy make brackets, cut, bend and weld them on to a piece of stainless.

My original instructions were for him to radius bend the shield, but he did sharp bends, which don't look as good and don't really match the lines of the bike.. we had a disagreement. Anyway, I got the shield, powdercoated it black and put it on. Wow! This makes such a HUGE difference. I can sit at a light, ride slowly or cruise the twisties in the heat.. my leg intact and shoe un-melted.

If you look closely, we bent the shield below the pipe and above it, plus the guy welded pieces on the front and the back (hard to see) to keep heat in.

As much as I'd love to keep those beautiful pipes exposed and visible, this is ride-able and I really like my leg more than being pretty... It is an amazing difference.
I love my Viking pipes but like all custom pipes they tend to turn your your right leg into a bratwurst that's been forgotten on the barbe... even more of a problem in Las Vegas temperatures above 40C... So, I made several patterns and had a guy make brackets, cut, bend and weld them on to a piece of stainless.

My original instructions were for him to radius bend the shield, but he did sharp bends, which don't look as good and don't really match the lines of the bike.. we had a disagreement. Anyway, I got the shield, powdercoated it black and put it on. Wow! This makes such a HUGE difference. I can sit at a light, ride slowly or cruise the twisties in the heat.. my leg intact and shoe un-melted.

If you look closely, we bent the shield below the pipe and above it, plus the guy welded pieces on the front and the back (hard to see) to keep heat in.

As much as I'd love to keep those beautiful pipes exposed and visible, this is ride-able and I really like my leg more than being pretty... It is an amazing difference.

Hi bike and heat shield looks good I went with wrap and also works well but you are 100% right you need some protection those pipe run HOT .

Where do you get the interesting looking clamps on your header do they have a name ?

upload_2018-7-14_22-7-29.png

r3.jpg

Tested original header temperatures against complaints of custom..mine were reading the same. Can only assume the tune is wrong or needs updating on the custom pipes! One critical person stated his were at 690 degrees F..so were mine! What's new??

I think its got something to do with thermodynamic properties of petroleum spirt being compressed and ignited in the combustion chamber .

I meant unshielded aftermarket headers in general Paul I was not making a comment on your fine design and workmanship .

calm down ;)

The guy that made the shield machined those brackets... They do look awesome but you can't see them behind the shield. He was playing around...

Hi bike and heat shield looks good I went with wrap and also works well but you are 100% right you need some protection those pipe run HOT .

Where do you get the interesting looking clamps on your header do they have a name ?

upload_2018-7-14_22-7-29.png

r3.jpg

I think its got something to do with thermodynamic properties of petroleum spirt being compressed and ignited in the combustion chamber .

I meant unshielded aftermarket headers in general Paul I was not making a comment on your fine design and workmanship .

calm down ;)

I wasn't taking this personally at all.

As I stated earlier, if you are running in 30°C plus, stop and go traffic for miles on end, you will have a problem.
This aside, it's tuning that will settle heat down, or more to the point the correct tune.

I’ve got some Vikings coming soon and I sure hope I don’t have to cover up that beautiful work. Of course I will have a custom tune done by a competent tuner.

Did you look at @mully95 's bike when he was up to Stearns ? See the neat little shield he has, that I copied, to keep the textile off the header at the leg's closest point of approach ?

Not even a "G-string" worth of coverage - looks like it belongs there.

Back