Flipmeister Billet Handlebar Wiring Clamps

My wiring clamps look really nice. Funny thing though...they didn't want to pose for a pic...maybe I need a professional hand model for that:confused:
I found that the clamps when tightened would still easily move on the handle bar. I cut a small piece (just the width of the clamp) of plasti-gauge (you engine builders will know what that is) and put it between the clamp and the handle bar to take up any space left as a tolerance during the machine work process by Flip. They now stay exactly where I want them....just a suggestion for anyone else who may have had that issue...:cool:.

I noticed that my handlebars were not a consistent diameter either.

That was one of the problems. Neither are mine. The bars are supposed to be 1.00" OD and mine varied from 1.012" to 0.990". That's why I settled on a 1.00 bore. That seemed to cover the norm and allowed me to use stock tooling. I suspect if the bars were mandrel bent like really good bars are, the diameter would be constant. These bars aren't. Probably went to the lowest bidder, some guy in a garage somewhere with a gas axe, vise and a pipe.................

I would have suggested a strip of vinyl electrical tape, 1/2" wide, one wrap on the bar and the clamp over that. They don't need to be real tight, they are not designed to take a load, only to secure the harness. Another solution would be to take the clamp, split it and lightly file the mating surfaces, not much, maybe a stroke with a flat bastard cut mill file. Too much and you'll wind up with a pronounced seam after assembly.

I'm searching for some unobtrusive rubber or plastic plug buttons to fill the holes vacated by the plastic push-in dohickeys.

Thanks for the other ideas Flip. The plasti-gauge seems to work perfectly. I was not sniveling only offering a simple fix like you did with the electrical tape. I know all about the manufacturing diferences when it comes to things like handle bars or whatever. When I used to build racing engines, everything in that power plant was fine fitted to perfection specification due to the same production issues regardless of part pricing. There are no problems...only solutions...still nice clamps...thanks..SB

Thanks for the other ideas Flip. The plasti-gauge seems to work perfectly. I was not sniveling only offering a simple fix like you did with the electrical tape. I know all about the manufacturing diferences when it comes to things like handle bars or whatever. When I used to build racing engines, everything in that power plant was fine fitted to perfection specification due to the same production issues regardless of part pricing. There are no problems...only solutions...still nice clamps...thanks..SB

I never thought you were. That's one reason I hesitated a little on them, the tolerance of the mass-produced bars. In as much as they are custom parts, they may take a little customizing........................:D

When you look at what else is available out there and at what price, the clamps get even more attractive, even though they don't photograph well..(need Piggers thumb I guess).

Back