Wiring in a new Circuit

Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
I've been trying to wire a relay into an existing circuit that is only powered while the bike is on with little success. I tried wiring the relay to close when there was power on the position light circuit, this caused the bike to have no tail light, presumably because the tail light is on the same circuit as the position light. I also tried wiring it into the starter circuit, which resulted in the bike not starting. I'm beginning to think that the relay being in the circuit is killing the circuit for some reason that I do not understand. Can anyone help me with figuring out how to wire in the relay so that I can have a switched circuit for my accessories?

Have you a good photo of the relay?

The side that has the circuit diagram on it.

Link fail but found it on Novita website. They give you diagrams.
Good news is it's the simplest form of relay.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

Pin number 86 connects to your position lights live (it's ok to piggy back onto the pin in the position lights' connector (yellow wire), or use a positap)
Pin 85 connects to ground (e.g. any bolt in the chassis)
Pin 30 connects to battery + via an inline fuse (what amps is thing you're wiring up?)
Pin 87 is the live to whatever it is you're wiring up.

N.B. wires from battery to pin 30 and from pin 87 to whatever must be rated for it's max amps... e.g. a 4 amp draw will need at least 4 amp wire.

Hope you haven't blown many fuses so far :)

Link fail but found it on Novita website. They give you diagrams.
Good news is it's the simplest form of relay.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

Pin number 86 connects to your position lights live (it's ok to piggy back onto the pin in the position lights' connector (yellow wire), or use a positap)
Pin 85 connects to ground (e.g. any bolt in the chassis)
Pin 30 connects to battery + via an inline fuse (what amps is thing you're wiring up?)
Pin 87 is the live to whatever it is you're wiring up.

N.B. wires from battery to pin 30 and from pin 87 to whatever must be rated for it's max amps... e.g. a 4 amp draw will need at least 4 amp wire.

Hope you haven't blown many fuses so far :)
Okay. Thanks for the rundown! Haven't blown any fuses yet!

Back