Finnish painting

I completely changed one of the gas over flow tubes and gas is still tinny drips comming out of both, it's a mystery because it never did it when it was primed and only thing different was taking apart and painted and put together again. It sure has me stumped. And the the weird thing is the gas tank can be half full and still drips . I don't understand why it never did it before. Unless the over flow tubs in gas tank some how got damages or got loose? Or what other reasons?

Sand news, I got 8 blisters that came up on my tank two on radiator cover and four on side cover and a big 1 inch chip of paint just came off the back fender. Also paint is coming off around my signal lights.
The guy braged how great of a painter he if after being with it and seeing all the flaws.
I decided just to pay some one else to paint it through out the winter:(
Having BMW paint it and do body work better so it should be a great paint job Wich this bike deserves:)

I completely changed one of the gas over flow tubes and gas is still tinny drips comming out of both, it's a mystery because it never did it when it was primed and only thing different was taking apart and painted and put together again. It sure has me stumped. And the the weird thing is the gas tank can be half full and still drips . I don't understand why it never did it before. Unless the over flow tubs in gas tank some how got damages or got loose? Or what other reasons?

I just re-read your tank leak problem and think @Ralsmith was on to it.

Now you can check it out while awaiting the re-paint.

The fill level on a stock tank is well below the opening and there is an overflow drain if you overfill or have extreme temperature changes affect fuel volume.
The fuel fill level is designed to allow your bike to lean to the left on the side stand without overflow.
As you have increased the tank volume substantially ONLY on the RIGHT hand side without any baffles to reduce sloshing when ever it is tilted to the LEFT on side stand more fuel is present and higher than the fill height level was originally designed for.
This leak may cease every time bike remains upright except for fuel already in the overflow.
However moving the bike around without any baffles may slosh enough fuel to refill the overfill drains for short periods, and if then tilted when parked on the side-stand again may drip on and off ..........driving you nuts!

The weight change he was warning you against is made worse without extensive baffle plates to reduce the sloshing of fuel and the wider and higher the bulk of the fuel volume the more sloshing and weight transfer - think pendulam and fulcrum effects.

E,g, about 7.5 litres of liquid in a 1 metre length of 100mm dia pipe versus a similar amount of liquid in a 75mm deep x 100mm x 150mm wide pan. Tilt both just 25mm and you will have a lot more liquid slosh out of the pan!

To make it worse your big, deep, expanded RHS of the tank is like the deep ocean. When the bike is tilted left it moves to the shallower and shelved LHS of the tank and rushes up like a tsunami coming ashore a shallowing beach slopping over and refilling the overflow drain.

This sloshing can even occur by JUST moving the handle bars as that can alter the tilt angle enough to cause a slosh.

ABoss Hoss has B gallons of gas a they do not have baffles in the tank.
Besides like I said before last summer I rode my bike for 3 months in primer and it wasn't leaking in the over flows.
I brought it to another shop an they said the was some paint and in the over flow lines it stoped leaking but now it's leaking again so seems there more in. Seems when the guy painter he didn't cover the two Ven holes.
So seems needs to clean it out more .

As much as I'm upset and decided to have BMW paint it , this guy worked for Porsche and he's going to give me the exact color that's on the 918 Spyder Porsche, which I always wanted the other guy missed the tint, just the tint alone is $600.00 and this is what it will look like. As a lot of flip depending how light hits it can almost look black.

Attachments

• PXL_20210907_184109134.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210907_184109134.MP.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 29
It's all painted he just didn't paint front grill Siler he left alluminum, so winter he will paint front grill. Now I just need too upholster top of seat leather.
Hi,
I loooove this paint job. This would be a perfect base to push an R3R towards a SteamPunk look. IfI didn't have the talent, what would it cost to have done just the paint job, shoping a bit?

Thanks

xian

Last edited:
Back