Falling on it's face

wilbur-t

Top Fuel
My hesitation started again yesterday on the way home, then this morning it will hardly run.:mad: Idles fine, more than 1/4 throttle is fine, there is nothing in between. Sputters, backfires, cuts off all together if you hold a steady light throttle. Only way you can drive it is to accellerate til you catch up with someone, back off completely and drop back, then do it again. Checked for codes, none, re-adjusted tps, checked tps through the whole range, checked all connectors, etc. Nothing seems amiss. Never had any hesitation till I had it re-mapped at the dealer. since then it has been on again-off again. Will run ok for about a week after doing the 12 min. tune. Never had anything as bad as this. Very dangerous to drive. :(

Limp home mode

Just on a whim I decided to unplug the main tps and see how it ran. Actually ran smooth as silk so long as you didn't give it more than about 1/3 throttle. If you did, it would start to die out. It's much easier to drive with only the bottom part of your throttle than only the top.:D

I guess this forced it into l.o.s. [Limited operating stratedgy, or limp home mode.] or whatever Triumph calls it.

I know not a good answer but get a Tuneboy so you can upload the maps yourself.

I have been waiting to see which would come out on top, Tuneboy or Power Commander. Both seem to have their strong points.

I just purchased a Tuneboy yesterday from newr3.com. I won't get it for 3 weeks because I am waiting for them to get the passenger floor boards from Rivco. If you decide to go for the PowerCommander let me know as you can get mine on the cheap. I might even come down and help install it if you like :).

Thanks VB, I might take you up on that.

I could take it back to the dealer that tuned it, but they are almost 4 hours away. The closer dealer, in Raleigh, always tells me it will take 2 weeks to get in.

Tuneboy will load a completely new tune. With PCIII you need to know what tune you have to be able to install the correct canned tune or have a dyno tune done.

I have a question seeing as I have neither.

When I was at the dealer friday we talked about owners removing the secondary butterflies but I assume with the full power tune the butterflies stay open all the time, right?

I don't really want to change anything, the bike has plenty of go for my old butt but I'd like to have the speedometer corrected. Interestingly, the speedometer on my T100 is also off by about 7-10% but it's analog, driven by a front wheel gearset. Must be the factory likes to have you going faster than you really are going.

Is it possible to have the dealer correct the speedometer error without changing the stock parameters?

Finally, a buddy has a PC on his VTX. I see it's a small box, I presume with goodies inside. What exactly is the TuneBoy other than a cable from your laptop to the bike? $345.00 is a lot of jack for a cable. These guys related to Corbin?

Wilbur.... try checking and re setting the voltage on your primary TPS, and do it while the engine is hot. Make sure the ISC is disconnected and removed while you do it. I've seen rockets act like that when that TPS voltage is off just a touch...:eek:

Hey Tomo, I have done that already. Set it dead on .6v with the engine warm and the headlight fuse out and isc disabled. Have you ever monitored the tps after you put the fuse back in [went up to .65v] then crank the engine [dropped to about .48v]?

Back