Falling on it's face

.65 is close enough.... it will even change when you get the bike started. That .6 volts is just a "base" setting but it should be close to that. The .48 is because the battery voltage drops when you crank the starter (it puts a load on it) and really... just for the few seconds that you crank the starter I would consider this normal.

It doesn't sound like the TPS ect. is causing this... you may have to re load whatever base tune you are using (20050?) It sounds like it may be corrupt.

It is susposed to be 20054, I have the cat by-pass pipe and have drilled my stock silencers to the point they might as well be tor's

.65 is close enough.... it will even change when you get the bike started. That .6 volts is just a "base" setting but it should be close to that. The .48 is because the battery voltage drops when you crank the starter (it puts a load on it) and really... just for the few seconds that you crank the starter I would consider this normal

I'm not talking about a momentary drop. the sensor was reading .6v, I put the fuse back in and it went to .65v, then I cranked the engine without touching the throttle and the reading dropped to .48v and stayed there.

Last edited:
That still may be normal... once the engine is running manifold vacuum is going to pull the butterfies closed a little. I just didn't want to see something like 1.3 volts with just the ignition turned on. You have a scanner, don't you? Are any of your sensors way out of wack??

By the way, if you buy the tuneboy package, which consists of a cable and some software, what would keep you from tuning other people's bikes? [Hypothetically speaking only, of course!:D ]

vonbonds said:
Each bike requires a $150 license or something close to that amount. They have thought of this ahead of time :).

Okay, so each bike requires a license. How do the differentiate from one bike to another? From what I read here, all the tunes are the same, that is, they all download in to the bike the same. What makes each bike an individual?

What would stop me from say, borrowing your Tune Boy cables and your laptop and plugging it into my bike and downloading a new tune. I must be missing something though I'm not a computer whiz by a long shot.

Not that I'd do that. My R3 with the stock (whatever) tune runs fine and gets 35+ to the gallon. That's fine with me.

I haven't received mine yet (on back order from newr3.com) but I assume it gets its unique key from the bikes ECU. Each bikes ECU or internal computer will have its own identification serial number I assume obtained from the CPU. This is most likely how it restricts access to its license key.

I could be wrong as to how it obtains a unique key or identifier but you get the idea, it will be something similar to this.

Vonbonds is right on the money... You install your software on your laptop... plug into the bike's DLC.... pull out a code... e mail that to Wayne... he sends back a key or code that will only work with that ECM. You can use the software (its free, you can get it from the TuneBoy website) and the cable on any bike but you have to pay to get the key that will unlock only one ECM.

Back