I just ordered some washers and flange nuts. I'll put in the old gaskets, some more goop and the washers/nuts... that **** won't leak when I am done.

Make sure the exhaust tubing at the exhaust flange where the tubing comes out from the head and starts to roll down is not touching the head. Another words make sure the header isn't touching the head. Hard to explain. Mine was touching and was not allowing the header flange go in far enough to seal. Doubled up the gaskets and all is well.

Of the three exhausts on my bike, the stocker had the worst sealing. If it wasn’t lined up “just” right, cylinder 2 would leak.

The silicone you find in there is only to hold the gasket in place while fitting the exhaust (they sure over do it though).

Of the three exhausts on my bike, the stocker had the worst sealing. If it wasn’t lined up “just” right, cylinder 2 would leak.
The silicone you find in there is only to hold the gasket in place while fitting the exhaust (they sure over do it though).

Well, did ya go to SIR today?

Nah, priority was getting on the road so it’s getting coated. Will be back on Thursday just in time for Friday dyno time.

Ok, so back to my exhaust leak...

Header leak is finally fixed. 2 gaskets and a bunch of goop sealed 1 and 3 cylinders. Had to order some stainless flanged nuts and tighten the **** out of them + the goop and 2 gaskets to seal.

@Paul Bryant I found your error . . .

You said you were working from the bike recovered from a barn fire . . .

A stock Rocket has covers that fit in the gap between the shields on the down pipes, and the engine block. These covers are on top of the header flange and held on with the dome nuts. Without these covers, one needs about two thicknesses of a washer for the dome nuts to have their purchase.

@Paul Bryant I found your error . . .

A stock Rocket has covers that fit in the gap between the shields on the down pipes, and the engine block. These covers are on top of the header flange and held on with the dome nuts. Without these covers, one needs about two thicknesses of a washer for the dome nuts to have their purchase.

A stock Rocket has covers that fit in the gap between the shields on the down pipes, and the engine block. These covers are on top of the header flange and held on with the dome nuts. Without these covers, one needs about two thicknesses of a washer for the dome nuts to have their purchase.[/QUOTE]

Not as Stock Paul they don't have covers at the top there.

Well, I should say that the Roadster/Classic doesn't.
Possibly the Touring does.
Can any of you Guys with the Touring confirm or deny this ?
If this is the case Paul, I've learnt some thing and will ensure that any future sales to Touring model owners are accommodated in this respect.

IMG_0050.jpg

Back