Engine Vibration continues

Remember though that the vibration seems to peak at around the same rpm for those that have it and the engine seems to be relatively smooth at the higher revs which you would think an imbalance would make it worse. I was just playing around with it again and a 5/16" nut taped to the outside of the basket seems to balance it out. The spot where I had the nut also corresponds to the spot that is machined out and the holes drilled so you can line gears up when assembling. The whole piece is quite interesting. I thought that the springs were just to eliminate backlash between the two gears, which it does, but it's main purpose is like a damper plate in a car transmission. This explains the different springs I think (reduces torsional harmonics)

ok u have me hooked
i think that u might cure the vibration if u could balance that drum.
i used to have a small bubble balancer that i would use old automatic steel clutches for height and i would balance flywheels/flex plates. i wonder if a drive shaft shop could balance that drum?

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think that I'm on to something here. The basket isn't indexed to the crank so there can't be a relationship there and every time you disengage the clutch it ends up in a different position in relation to the inner drum so it can't be counter balanced there either. I would be happy just using the weight of the 5/16" nut to balance it. Just have to figure out how.

Hint hint

I don't understand why they have different springs in there? And what's with the colors? The blue one definitely looks to be made of a larger diameter material. As Elmer Fud would say, "vewery stwange"o_O

I don't understand why they have different springs in there? And what's with the colors? The blue one definitely looks to be made of a larger diameter material. As Elmer Fud would say, "vewery stwange"o_O
There different compression loads, colors make it a easier process to identify. Image the amount of springs that get made. Anyway that eases the shock which is why theye are diferent. If not and you put the strongest it could act as if you never had anything to absorb the torque shock.

Last edited:
Glad to hear of a positive outcome, even if it mean trading the bike.

I would bet the vibration originated on the transmission input shaft.

I hate to say it, but the transmission is an extremely sloppy assembly as delivered.

It's funny that you say that the transmission is sloppy because I expecting the bearing on the input shaft to have some movement in it but it feels to be tight. In fact, I was going to ask you guys in the know if it is normal for the input shaft to have a bit of preload on it? I was expecting it to spin quite freely but if you give a quick spin, it stops fairly quickly. Is this normal? I just went out and measured it- 8 inch/pounds

The drag is from the constant mesh gearing, at least, it was on mine before I sent it back to Robinson to get rebuilt. Once it came back, with proper clearances, it spun incredibly smooth, functions better than any R3 I've ever felt, easy shift, butter smooth, exactly as they should be.

If it's dragging with the output shaft removed and just spinning the input in the bearing, it's probably just oil drag.

I firmly believe the massive clearances the gears have, to make assembly easy and cheap for Triumph, is to blame for the vibration some people have and some don't. Even with all the engine work, my bike is smooth in regard to vibrations all the way to 8000 RPM.

The drag is from the constant mesh gearing, at least, it was on mine before I sent it back to Robinson to get rebuilt. Once it came back, with proper clearances, it spun incredibly smooth, functions better than any R3 I've ever felt, easy shift, butter smooth, exactly as they should be.

If it's dragging with the output shaft removed and just spinning the input in the bearing, it's probably just oil drag.

I firmly believe the massive clearances the gears have, to make assembly easy and cheap for Triumph, is to blame for the vibration some people have and some don't. Even with all the engine work, my bike is smooth in regard to vibrations all the way to 8000 RPM.
MY 2012 CARPENTER modded ROADSTER is smooooooth all the way to the 9000 RPM redline and also has a superslick modded gearbox JUST LIKE BUTTER

Two things come to mind.

1) Us common folk don't have the resources to modify the gear box the way you guys have.
2) When I'm riding alone I drive like hell. Vibration? what vibration, don't even notice it but most of my miles are with my lovely wife sitting behind me and with our Hardley friends. Guess what rpm they all like to ride at:)

When I was in Hawaii it drove me nuts riding with the HD crowd. They all cruised at like 58mph.... its not a happy speed on the rocket, even stock. Always 5 mph too slow for 5th, but seemed too high in 4th to be comfortable lol.

Back