Engine misses intermittently

Frosty Rider

Turbocharged
Ride
2010 R III T, 2020 R 3GT, 2001 HD CVO WideGlide
Good Day, well for some i guess, I have the RIII Touring, and i get an intermittent miss fire, i'm at a loss, I have been fighting with this bike for over a week chasing down electrical issues, finally got them all, but this one is killing me, so far i have done
Changed Cam chain guides, Cam chain, Valve adjustment, needed to re-shim 6 valves, that was fun
verified that the timing is all correct, Crank and Cams line up perfectly
New spark plugs, and ignition wires, and tightened up the connects on the coils
chased down electrical issues after putting it all back together, a couple of blow fuses, changed relays, previous owner installed power commander, turns out the black and grey blocks under the tank get swapped, ie: the black connectors go to the big grey ones, instead of black to black and grey to grey, good times
sorted out the no start, turns out the security fob needs to be next to the bike, not 2-3 feet away, that was a hard lesson
got the bike running YAY, but while idling, it would be running ok then suddenly there is sort of a half a second skip where there is no firing, and then it kicks in again, or it will just stop, i can start it right up after, but it will do that every few minutes
I reflashed the power commander and the bikes ecu using the tuning from Hanso that i have been using since i got the bike, let it do the whole 12-minute run after flashing, and it would still do this during the 12-minute run, but didn't die.
took it for a ride and i can still feel a miss in it, i'm at a loss at this point, checked and all plugs are firing, i haven't ruled out a weak coil yet

gas is new, is there a way to test for a weak coil, or you just change them all and be done with it, and if you are changing them, do you have to use the Triumph coils, or will another manufacturer work as well, like when i changed my clutch pack i used a 2013 Suzuki Hyabusa clutch pack

you can use a test light (has to be 25 ohms or more) to monitor ecu firing the coil. clip clamp to positive (inside terminal) and the probe to outside (ecu grounding) terminal.
if it quits flashing (while running) then it might be a connector problem.
what type of plugs are you using?

you can use a test light (has to be 25 ohms or more) to monitor ecu firing the coil. clip clamp to positive (inside terminal) and the probe to outside (ecu grounding) terminal.
if it quits flashing (while running) then it might be a connector problem.
what type of plugs are you using?
standard NGK plugs, i tried the iridium and lasted a year and were toast, the regular NGK, i have never had a problem with them, sort of like the energizer bunny, they just keep going

the thing i found odd, was when it is idling and does this, it is like all cylinders are dead, it is silent for that fraction of a second, but it could be that one coil pack not firing, and the others are not at fire cycle yet, I was wondering about coils, the bike has amost 50,000 miles on it, (it was originally a Mercan bike, brought to Canada) and they are 13-years old, i'm not sure what the life span of triumph coils are

standard NGK plugs, i tried the iridium and lasted a year and were toast, the regular NGK, i have never had a problem with them, sort of like the energizer bunny, they just keep going

i read that some of the ngk iridium plugs were conterfit in appearance the box and plug looked like the oridgnal
were bought on amazon cheap.

i read that some of the ngk iridium plugs were conterfit in appearance the box and plug looked like the oridgnal
were bought on amazon cheap.
i got them through the dealer, does anyone know if you can use a different manufacturer coil pack, or does it have to be triumph specifically

i spent a long long long time fixing my cold start problem i finally changed coils but seen a connector that i had not cleaned and found some green in it so i think i fixed it with that.
i have run mine with one coil not firing and you can hardly tell it si not firing one one cylinder.

i spent a long long long time fixing my cold start problem i finally changed coils but seen a connector that i had not cleaned and found some green in it so i think i fixed it with that.
i have run mine with one coil not firing and you can hardly tell it si not firing one one cylinder.
I have considered one coil may not be functioning, i need to check them again to make sure, it would explain the extra vibration and suddenly dieing on occasion, coil contacts were all cleaned, it still runs and has good pickup, but you can feel something is not quite right

Back