Engine Vibration continues

Size Does Matter

.020 Over
Hi everyone

New Update re rocket 3 engine and clutch vibration

Left my bike at Team Moto and the Triumph Rep from Melbourne flew up. His name is cliff. As helpful as he was he did a bit of fast talking and told me that they would dismantle the bikes rear and replace the shaft, knuckle and drive shaft.

I questioned him about the crank and he could not give me an answer. I informed him that I was very disappointed that when the bike was pulled down to the extent that it was they didn't send the crank away for checking or balancing especially when I offered to pay for it. He adamantly stated that there was nothing wrong with the crank. However he wouldn't bet his house on it and we wouldn't have been having the discussion about the crank if it had of been checked. He continually reassured me that they were there to help resolve the problem or should I say, my issue.

They would not except that it was a possible manufacturing issue.

However I have spoken to guys who own R3's and there's is as smooth as silk.

Even after all their work on it a vibration was noticeable at 3500rpm in every gear.

Well that's the crank. I built enough engines to know. I also fail to accept that it is torsional vibration. This is their professional wash out. Torsional vibration does not disappear when slightly depressing the clutch. Torsional vibration is prevalent at various RPM's and the rider should not be capable of changing that.

I have traded the bike. I wasn't prepared to have it off the road and put up with trial and error and excuses.

New Rocket 3 arrives in August. Better be different than the last one.

Size does matter

Size I will be interested to have you ride my Roadster sometime for you to compare the vibration in mine to yours. I just did a 2000km ride, the bike now done 9000km, the ride gave me plenty of time check the vibration, it comes in at 2100rpm, disappears at 2500rpm and come back at 2700rpm and stays in to 3500 rpm, on and of the throttle, and just like you say it completely disappears with the slightest pressure on the clutch lever.
It not an unbearable condition but would great if it was not there, the bike would be perfect.
I did speak to Triumph, they told me there were aware of the condition but not considered to be detrimental. I will have the bike shop have ride when the 10000km service is done and give their opinion.
By the way are you still riding your Rocket while waiting for your new one?

Vibration in my 08' R3T

Just wanted to tell you your posts have made me angry that I didn't question my dealer more. I have the same problem that you are having with my 08' R3T. I have 28,000 miles on it. It has had the vibration from day one. As soon as I pull in the clutch slightly, the vibration goes away. Over 85MPH I can feel a lot of vibration, causes the mirrors to move. I don't have the cash to trade it in. Maybe I need to pull the crank and have it balanced.

This is a link to the post I put up after my clutch failed due to the dealer adjusting all of the slack out of the clutch cable because of my complaining about the vibration.

Just wanted you to know this issue could be in your new bike. I love the torque of the bike and have just lived with the vibration.

I had a vibration in my 07 classic at 3500 miles i took it to the dealer and they said they replaced the clutch springs with heavier springs, but who knows, anyway they fixed the vibration, I put 20000 miles on the bike and it came back, took to them again hoping they could fix it, they took the clutch apart and said they couldn't find anything, didn't fix it, I even talk to Pete at Triumph, he said "it's the nature of the beast, ride it " I said bull$^%# it wasn't like that before. Mine does the same, and a lot of others do. take the free play out of the clutch lever and it's gone.

I may be wrong but it seems all R3s have the condition to some degree, I would just like to know what it is and love to hear from a R3 owner who has successfully removed the vibration.
I can't wait to hear from size after he has taken delivery of his new one.

Back