engine goes at 4th gear

Zen2osho

.040 Over
Ride
Triumph rocket 3 Roadstar
Friends, the engine went off twice on the fourth gear wen negotiating a curve and pulling the clutch?? Is it an issue?? happened twice 20 miles apart.Downshifted and started it started again, power to panel is ok?? FYi iam breaking in still with 550miles on the bike.

Any suggestions?

This can happen on the very new ones. Be patient and tell the service guys at your first service. Might require the throttle position sensor recalibration. Mine did the same as well as many of the others also.

Thanks Mitzy!!

But i have a major disadvantage here, I imported this bike from Texas and use this in Africa! Hence no dealer / service centre etc.

Will the problem disappear on its own or is it a repetitive problem? I ride aggressive and cant afford to have this stalling problem. Mine started after 500 miles twice as i mentioned earlier!

Now , what all interface , obd tools i should buy??? How do i reset the TPS? I checked the Triumph store, the pc diagnostic kit is 1000 US:confused: and interface is 160 US:confused: Iam tired. I have to pay duties and freight importing them here.:eek: ( jus imported Eastern beaver kit paying priority shipping:roll:)

Why should someone has to meddle with electronics on a new bike??At least few thousand miles should be trouble free except of oil/filter change etc.

Its time i start looking for a second bike! anyway hate to have 2 bikes at a time???

Any remedies!! Experts Hanso, Kevin, CanberrraR3, TomCAT. Pls come for rescue:D

Brother Zen, I believe Mitzy is correct as I had a similar problem. I believe that any computer system hooked up to the bike will allow you to adjust the TPS. Mine was originaslly set to Idle too low and the shop fixed it in a few minutes on thier diagnostics computer.

Friends, the engine went off twice on the fourth gear wen negotiating a curve and pulling the clutch?? Is it an issue?? happened twice 20 miles apart.Downshifted and started it started again, power to panel is ok?? FYi iam breaking in still with 550miles on the bike.

Any suggestions?

I suggest, don't pull clutch when negotiating a curve.

Why would you? Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

What does the bike idle @ rpms?

Mine new 2013 did this too. I went through the '12 minute tune' and that solved it. Please search for the twelve minute tune for exact instructions, do that, and you should be fine. If your issue is like mine, and it sounds like it is, this will solve your problem. Mine hasn't happened after I did this at about 500 miles on the bike.

Good luck!

Rockethead is right on the money there are links here in this thread http://www.r3owners.net/threads/tuneecu-how-to.7671/
also download the printable user manual
to "Reset the TPS" is quite easy and while you are at "Adjust the ISCV" go to top right hand of screen and select tests, they are the last two options on bottom left of test screen, I check mine perodically if you have any other questions fire away or send in a "conversation"

Mine new 2013 did this too. I went through the '12 minute tune' and that solved it. Please search for the twelve minute tune for exact instructions, do that, and you should be fine. If your issue is like mine, and it sounds like it is, this will solve your problem. Mine hasn't happened after I did this at about 500 miles on the bike.

Good luck!
This is another way of resetting your adaptives, 1)start bike from cold Do Not touch the throttle and leave it Idle till rad fan come on then allow it to idle for a further 12 minutes, if you have TuneECU and are connected this time may be shortened because the TPS status light will come on allowing you to switch of earlier, it also does not hurt to check and adjust if nessary the ISCV as this process also resets the TPS

Last edited:
Back