after experience of the heat in Phoenix i hope you made it home ok, long day and getting back to payson wouldn’t be for the faint at heart, but we love these rockets so into the oven, hope youre ok bud, i bet you smiled or atleast knew you were gonna live when you started climbing into payson and cooler temps
Going home is OK getting to the 87 and one lane was a challenge then the accident and stopped traffic was more of a challenge. The overheat light even came on.
I lived in the valley for 23 years and have been in Payson only a year. When you no longer live in the valley it's really not much fun to visit.

I'm OK, thanks.

My dyno thread. CLICK.

Hi Guys - new to this thread and only a week or so on R3O. I have an R3T - had it for 5.5 years, pretty much from new (ex-demo). The first things I did for tuning after the warranty ran out was to flash the ECU with Power Tripps de-restriction tune and added a K&N filter - amazing difference right there - no longer ran out of wheaties mid rev range. I then added TOR's exhaust the following year. Great sound and perhaps a little more grunt but started to run a bit hot - which apparently is not unusual when adding performance exhaust. Then earlier this year I had the Power Commander V added and a Dyno Tune. I was hoping that this would add power and get the hot running under control. Note quite... The power and it's delivery is good, not spectacular but very nice. The guy that tuned it reckoned it was running really rich so dialed the fuel back to get the mix right so now of course she runs hotter than before. Not had the warning light come on yet but haven't ridden in the Aussie summer heat yet either. As and example, on a 20c degree day at idle the fan comes on a stays on and she smells like hot metal/coolant. Will be interesting how she goes on a 30 to 35c degree day but hoping that keeping moving will be the answer. Anyone else had similar issues or have a perspective on this?
Dyno numbers for those interested are: (Power Tripps Tune ECU de-restriction tune, K&N filter + TOR's exhaust)
125.14 HP
143.66 Torque

Last edited:
Hi Guys - new to this thread and only a week or so on R3O. I have an R3T - had it for 5.5 years, pretty much from new (ex-demo). The first things I did for tuning after the warranty ran out was to flash the ECU with Power Tripps de-restriction tune and added a K&N filter - amazing difference right there - no longer ran out of wheaties mid rev range. I then added TOR's exhaust the following year. Great sound and perhaps a little more grunt but started to run a bit hot - which apparently is not unusual when adding performance exhaust. Then earlier this year I had the Power Commander V added and a Dyno Tune. I was hoping that this would add power and get the hot running under control. Note quite... The power and it's delivery is good, not spectacular but very nice. The guy that tuned it reckoned it was running really rich so dialed the fuel back to get the mix right so now of course she runs hotter than before. Not had the warning light come on yet but haven't ridden in the Aussie summer heat yet either. As and example, on a 20c degree day at idle the fan comes on a stays on and she smells like hot metal/coolant. Will be interesting how she goes on a 30 to 35c degree day but hoping that keeping moving will be the answer. Anyone else had similar issues or have a perspective on this?
Dyno numbers for those interested are: (Power Tripps Tune ECU de-restriction tune, K&N filter + TOR's exhaust)
125.14 HP
143.66 Torque

When you say K&N filter is it the one under the seat? If so, it’s pretty much universally accepted on this forum that replacing the stock filter under the seat while retaining the ductwork accomplishes next to nothing. The issue isn’t the filter but rather the maze of restrictive duct work.

I ran the nels derestricted tune 20368 I believe is the right number but it is a very good tune that several guys run, i was very happy with it. with a ram air filter, d and d pipes and a crossover, i was able to get to, (dyno below) there are two 20368 tunes make sure you load the derestricted nels tune. make sure you save your tune youre running incase any new tune you install is jacked up for your bike.

B94E425B-9AFB-432D-96BA-F3EA606C091E.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, MUCH written on this site about this topic -- worth your research for your education.

Totally agree with statement of @Kojack1970 . The numbers you show look very close to stock, and make me wonder about your statement of "Dyno Tune".

Australia is blessed with some well experienced and truly talented practitioners of the arts of performance improvement, some of whom are experienced with the Rocket III, and even a cursory update to the ECU map of your bike would have much more of an effect than you report.

Encourage you to keep learning, and dreaming, and planning, and doing.

Yes, MUCH written on this site about this topic -- worth your research for your education.

Totally agree with statement of @Kojack1970 . The numbers you show look very close to stock, and make me wonder about your statement of "Dyno Tune".

Australia is blessed with some well experienced and truly talented practitioners of the arts of performance improvement, some of whom are experienced with the Rocket III, and even a cursory update to the ECU map of your bike would have much more of an effect than you report.

Encourage you to keep learning, and dreaming, and planning, and doing.
Thanks Joesmore. Interesting, after the major service I just had the Bike is running very nicely but do feel that you suggest performance should have been quite a bit better after the PCv and Dyno in March. I am a bit concerned that the guy I took it to for the PCv install and free associated tune might have been a bit of a cowboy. (Sorry no disrespect to real Cowboys - just a bit is Aussie vernacular)
He was supposed to have changed oil too but checked it after only around 3k kms and was dirty as crap. No oil change I reckon. I think what I’ll do is get the Ram Air system, install, then take it to someone who knows what they are doing with R3T’s in Melbourne that has a Dyno and go again.
funny thing is this guys reckons he has turbo charged one of these recently so gave me the impression he knew what he was doing.
Any one know a good Dyno shop for an R3T in Melbourne? The only other place I know is Dynoverks in Bayswater.

If I lived where you are, I'd be making plans to ride 746 km or so northwest to Victor Harbor and the tin shed of Neville Lush Racing.

A number of us have been scheming for years to get him over here for an extended workshop to sort out our bikes -- such is the dearth of tuning resources for our machines.

If I lived where you are, I'd be making plans to ride 746 km or so northwest to Victor Harbor and the tin shed of Neville Lush Racing.

A number of us have been scheming for years to get him over here for an extended workshop to sort out our bikes -- such is the dearth of tuning resources for our machines.
650 miles to your south i know of a guy in a truck :whitstling:

650 miles to your south i know of a guy in a truck :whitstling:
Good suggestion Joesmoe, many thanks... and the potential ride routes between here and Victor Harbor are pretty good - I can feel an other road trip starting to come together - once lockdown is done and borders are open again. Checked Neville Lush Racing website and note that he works with both PC and Tune ECU - Perfect.

Back