Deep throaty exhaust

Do a search on here for ignition switch issues. The fact that the ignition switch and start sequence seem to be intermittent/hit or miss, I would look at the ignition switch and the main 30Amp fuse contacts/melting/corrosion issue(s). As long as you've checked the battery voltage at rest and then while you are cranking to see how much it dips first.

Do a search on here for ignition switch issues. The fact that the ignition switch and start sequence seem to be intermittent/hit or miss, I would look at the ignition switch and the main 30Amp fuse contacts/melting/corrosion issue(s). As long as you've checked the battery voltage at rest and then while you are cranking to see how much it dips first.
I'll check the battery, though it's only 12m old
I've checked fuses and all good
The fun just keeps on giving lol

I would check and clean battery terminals.
With test light/volt meter
When u turn on ign and nothing happens then check bat posts for volts then check the terminals. If bat post is 12 and terminals is a lot lower then prob is connections.
U could also do the fuses this way.

However when clocks light up and bike wont start on button, I flick main beam on and it fires?
Can you clarify please:
Are you flicking to the main beam WHILE you have starter button pressed?
I suspect not, as there is no current flowing through headlight circuit with starter relay energized
So you release the button, flick to high beam and then press start again and it works?
It sounds purely coincidental - but if anything may indicate the key-switch as the problem
when i press ignition blue light goes out but back on if the bike eventually starts.
Well if blue light goes out* while the starter button is pressed (but starter itself is not actually operating) that is what should happen (as far as light goes) and of course should also come back on when starter button is released; that says that the starter relay is switching and the problem most likely would be in the solenoid (it could be the relay, but more likely the solenoid)

* The starter relay diverts current via a changeover relay from the headlights to the starter solenoid - it cannot supply both at the same. So if the headlight indicator goes out, it confirms the relay has switched over - now it could be the N/O pole of the relay that has bad contact, but it is more typically the solenoid that is not throwing. The relay switches about 10A to either the headlights OR the Solenoid so it's a significant current and can pit the contacts when switching on/off. It's at least a fairly inexpensive and simple part to swap to validate one way or the other.
another issue i sometimes have is when i turn the key, the clocks are dead and have to turn off and on again till clocks go on then it does its checks etc
That sounds like a key-switch issue which unfortunately is very common with the classics.

p.s. also check the smaller gauge ground pigtail off the main battery negative cable - it goes to a single-way connector that often burns.

Last edited:
Hi guys, have looked through various threads and I get conflicting info. I have a stock 2007 rocket and want to make it louder. I've seen various posts about debaffelling. Some say you can and some say you cant so just looking for a general consensus. If yes what tools do I require?
I dont think mine has a cat and I have a lonetec cable to retune if required. On a separate note, I'm having intermittent starting issues
When bike is sat in neutral and I engage the electrics, the bike goes through all the usual checks and will sometimes fire straight up but at other times, when I press electric starter there is nothing and I have to keep pressing it till it eventually starts. When the bike does decide to start there does not seem to be an issue with starter motor as it doesnt struggle. Could it be a faulty side stand switch and can this be repaired/cleaned or do I need to replace
Had same problem on my 06 classic. Ended up being switch on clutch lever.

I had the intermittent starting problem. Checked all the usual suspects. Figured it was the starter switch in the solenoid. Put a repair kit in but still no joy. Read where @Mittzy had found the problem can be crappy connections on the starter relay under the right side cover. Took the relay out of the plug, cleaned the spades, took a tiny screwdriver and released each terminal from the plug and cleaned them up. Then applied die-electric grease a reassembled. Hasn't done it in over a year now !

Last edited:
That clutch switch can be a bugger. The little plunger that activates it, gets stuck sometimes. A blast of WD-40 fixed mine for good! I went for a few weeks of not knowing if my bike would start when I wanted it to, until I finally narrowed it down to that switch. I first suspected the starter solenoid, or battery connections, but as it was so intermittent, it was hard to diagnose. Oh, and to get back to the original "topic", I just installed a CES exhaust system that I got from a member here, and is it ever a "hoot". Sounds GREAT, runs GREAT! burnt a hole in my cheap pants though. Fun, Fun, Fun!

As ever guys thanks for all your replys
It sounds purely coincidental - but if anything may indicate the key-switch as the problem
It was a coincidence, I'll try easy stuff first like battery, connectors and a general clean of electrical contacts then will repair solenoid, £13 for bits so not a deal breaker

Back