barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
Guys - I have received a PM from a Spanish member @drctjcp who has a failing instrument cluster. On a 2006 Classic. But only 30K-kms.

I've never suffered and he's a wee bit far away for a run down to see him. Especially with Storm Emma blasting us.

He's trying to avoid the STEALER BLUES.

Here his original text

1º La aguja del tacómetro dejó de funcionar: funcionan todos los indicadores y testigos bien bien excepto la aguja. cuando he cargado la batería excepcionalmente se mueve algo pero se para enseguida... al principio pense que sería alguna mala conexión tierra o mal funcionamiento de la aguja..y lo deje pasar ya que bueno, no es ni obligatorio de cara a la itv
2º La aguja del velocimetro se quedó a 0, el caso es que cuando pones el contacto de la moto hace el balanceo perfectamente de izquierda a derecha y vuelta a su sitio,pero allí se queda. El resto de testigos funcionan sin problema.
3º A las pocas semanas se ha apagado el odometro ¿se llama así? la pantalla donde te marca km totales, parciales etc...
Osea, que ni se a que velocidad voy, ni kms tengo, ni que revoluciones...aunque eso es lo de menos
Lo he ido dejando pasar porque por diversas causas he estado bastante tiempo sin coger la moto y haciendolo muy esporadicamente...pero la ITV está cerca y la quiero tener a punto y cogerla habitualmente.

Briefly translated.
  1. The Tacho needle stopped working. The warning lights are fine but tacho not. As it's not a requirement for the MoT test was simply ignored.
  2. The Speedo needle sits solidly at zero. Sweeps on power but thereafter dead. All lights fine.
  3. Shortly after the odo and trip meters stopped working. He's not too worried about them, but the Mot is close and a working speedo is a bit of a must and he wants to start using the bike more often than he has been.
He has looked at the fuses, been under the tank and cleaned connectors and dielectric greased, made sure the battery is OK and has whipped out the speed sensor to check for gunge and damage. To no avail.

All that occurs to me is the ignition switch, cables or finally dead clocks.

Would appreciate those who have had issues giving their findings/thoughts. Please try and make the text simple - I am rotten at translation. And if master @DEcosse can suggest tests to isolate things this would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

It sounds like the typical instrument failure @barbagris i.e. it is internal to the module, nothing external.
I've had a look inside a failed unit and there is nothing obvious visually and it's a bit difficult to diagnose further without having a schematic - besides you pretty much have to cut it open to get to the board;
I don't know of a solution other than replacement

The pre-roadsters “should” be a pretty straight forward swap to a single digital dash.

Fortunately used clusters aren’t terribly hard to find on eBay!

Pretty much what I expected. But wanted to make sure.

Somewhere I have Wayne Tripps Koso Wiring schematic. For the Koso RX2N

I will see what Julio wants to do.

Back