Darkside- front/rear combo.

I want to thank everyone who has replied so far. Right now my front tire is still OK, but the rear is starting to look a little smooth. I also took a header the week of Hurricane Joaquin, so I'm not in a hurry to get back on her right now. Fortunately, I have 2 other bikes to ride while I get the beast back in order.

I hope the "header" wasn't too bad.

Like Ian, I've been running darkside for about 60k miles. Riken Raptor ZR 225/55/16 on the back. I've had the best experience with a Dunlop D404 on the front. The Shinko didn't feel as good as the Dunlop. Currently running a Dunlop Elite 3 up front with good results so far (4k miles).

Ive got some Hankook Ventus 225 50 R 16 tyre on the back at the moment, about to change it for a new one as have worn the sides out, treads still like new though. Mate looked at it and said "you should probably go back to a bike tyre by the looks of it" but I like the way its corners with the dark side. On the front I have a Metzler Marathon 140 75 R17 tyre. This works for me.

My old rear tyres were lasting 4000kms this has got three times that so far.

Oddest feeling when you first ride, nearly went back home and put the other wheel back on (got a complete back wheel with a bike tyre on). Bought a whole new back wheel to put the car tyre on in case i didnt like it, I could swap back then fit another bike tyre to this. My hassle is going to a tyre shop and wasting a day in the weekend. The bike tyre never went back on.

Well this just sucks, went to got get a new darside fitted yesterday, left the wheel there and just got a call that its been made illegal to do this in NZ now and they wont fit it up:mad::mad::mad::(. Gotta go back to a bike tyre... Am trying Bridgestone Exedra or something now hopefully more than 4000kms per tyre....

I hope the "header" wasn't too bad.

Like Ian, I've been running darkside for about 60k miles. Riken Raptor ZR 225/55/16 on the back. I've had the best experience with a Dunlop D404 on the front. The Shinko didn't feel as good as the Dunlop. Currently running a Dunlop Elite 3 up front with good results so far (4k miles).

FYI and IMO -
That D404 is a cheap tire meant for Harleys. The D251 is WAY BETTER and the Elite 3 is even better than that.

I'm formerly from Baltimore. I am also one of those who will try to dissuade you from using darkside. AVON COBRA is the tire. Yes it is pricey but man does it make the Rocket do what it is designed to do. I just changed my back tire Saturday. Could have ordered one from Rocky Mountain for $212 delivered, but they only had tires in stock that were made in 2012 and 2013. A bit to old for my money. So instead I purchased from my local dealer for $305. We had to send back 2 tires that were old too. Finally got one made week 18 of 2015. Nice and fresh. BTW; the one I just took off lasted 11,000 miles. Those miles included 1.5 hours on a dyno and a hard track day of about 150 miles. I wore that tire out from edge to edge. GREAT TIRE worth every penny. My Cobra front tire has over 12,000 miles on it and still has life in it.

Idaho...where is the manufacturing date for the Avons? For all the money tires cost I definitely don't want old ones.

The DOT date code is on one sidewall only. it is a 4 digit number. Example: 0815. First 2 digits denote the week and the second 2 digits denote the year. So 0815 would be manufactured in the 8th week of 2015.

Front Darkside
Front Darkside.jpg

Back