Darkside- front/rear combo.

Dennis B.

.020 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
Ever since I owned my 2007 R3 Classic, I've been continuing to use the
Metzeler recommended for the Beast. Now, I'm contemplating going to the Darkside. So my question is what brand & size for the rear is recommended. Also, what front tire would you recommend in combination. On a sidenote, which methods do you feel are the best way to have a tire balanced- sand or weights.

You will get many answers to your questions, some may even try to discourage you from going that direction. ;)

I just installed a Michellin Commander II 140/75R17 on the front, and have about 400 miles on it. So far I like it, it is way better than the OEM Metz. It is a lower profile than OEM, so you will lose a little clearance on lean angles.

Not knowing where in the USA you hail from, I don't know the weather conditions that you will be riding in. If you will NOT be riding at near or below freezing conditions, then I would recommend a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre, with a tread that is symmetrical, and in the size 225/55-16. If you are riding in freezing conditions, then a High Performance all season tyre may be better.

You will get many answers to your questions, some may even try to discourage you from going that direction. ;)

I just installed a Michellin Commander II 140/75R17 on the front, and have about 400 miles on it. So far I like it, it is way better than the OEM Metz. It is a lower profile than OEM, so you will lose a little clearance on lean angles.

Not knowing where in the USA you hail from, I don't know the weather conditions that you will be riding in. If you will NOT be riding at near or below freezing conditions, then I would recommend a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre, with a tread that is symmetrical, and in the size 225/55-16. If you are riding in freezing conditions, then a High Performance all season tyre may be better.

I'm in the Baltimore, Maryland area. (You actually know me from the RAT pack). I was unable to remember the information you told me before (too many bumps on the head).
Thanks.

Yep, now I know. Probably a good idea to put your location in your info, it helps a lot. There are a few people in this area now, we will have to organise a ride or something sometime soon.

I'm formerly from Baltimore. I am also one of those who will try to dissuade you from using darkside. AVON COBRA is the tire. Yes it is pricey but man does it make the Rocket do what it is designed to do. I just changed my back tire Saturday. Could have ordered one from Rocky Mountain for $212 delivered, but they only had tires in stock that were made in 2012 and 2013. A bit to old for my money. So instead I purchased from my local dealer for $305. We had to send back 2 tires that were old too. Finally got one made week 18 of 2015. Nice and fresh. BTW; the one I just took off lasted 11,000 miles. Those miles included 1.5 hours on a dyno and a hard track day of about 150 miles. I wore that tire out from edge to edge. GREAT TIRE worth every penny. My Cobra front tire has over 12,000 miles on it and still has life in it.

Last edited:
Ive got some Hankook Ventus 225 50 R 16 tyre on the back at the moment, about to change it for a new one as have worn the sides out, treads still like new though. Mate looked at it and said "you should probably go back to a bike tyre by the looks of it" but I like the way its corners with the dark side. On the front I have a Metzler Marathon 140 75 R17 tyre. This works for me.

My old rear tyres were lasting 4000kms this has got three times that so far.

Oddest feeling when you first ride, nearly went back home and put the other wheel back on (got a complete back wheel with a bike tyre on). Bought a whole new back wheel to put the car tyre on in case i didnt like it, I could swap back then fit another bike tyre to this. My hassle is going to a tyre shop and wasting a day in the weekend. The bike tyre never went back on.

I've gone double dark side on my R3T. Rear bike tyre for the front and car tyre for the rear, lovin it so far.

Wish I knew how - my front Cobra lasted 6300kms! - in contrast my Azaro (now discontinued) has twice that and still has masses of tread.

This is good to hear as I have recently mounted an Azaro on my front!

Back