Damaged crankcase with pictures -- FIXED

I'm new to this thread. I'm trying to understand what broke it in the first place ? I always leave my standard down when strapped into the trailer, figuring if the right hand straps failed it might at least stay upright. Is that what broke this one off ? I don't see how that's possible. If you pulled the straps down to far it wouldn't break the standard, the bike would just start listing to the right. Am I missing something here ?

In my case, I think that when one of the straps broke (it was the one on the brake side going from the back of the bike toward the front attachment point) the bike went down on the side stand. I am assuming that either the initial fall, and/or the culmination of bouncing in the truck on the side stand caused the damage. At one of the stops for fuel, when I checked straps on the bike, I discovered the broken strap and replaced it with another strap. It was at this time I discovered the side stand had been left down. I put it up at this point. Obviously the damage had been done. I did not discover it until I got the bike out of the back of the truck and set it on the side stand. It was at this point I saw how far over it was leaning. I assumed the bracket or stand had been damaged in the fall and ordered a replacement. It was not until I took off the bracket to replace it that I discovered the bolts had pulled away from the casing and taken chunks of the casing with them. Things I have learned from this experience: 1) don't ship a bike with the side stand down, 2) don't trust anyone else to strap down my bike for me, and 3) use more than 4 straps to tie down a bike.

In my case, I think that when one of the straps broke (it was the one on the brake side going from the back of the bike toward the front attachment point) the bike went down on the side stand. I am assuming that either the initial fall, and/or the culmination of bouncing in the truck on the side stand caused the damage. At one of the stops for fuel, when I checked straps on the bike, I discovered the broken strap and replaced it with another strap. It was at this time I discovered the side stand had been left down. I put it up at this point. Obviously the damage had been done. I did not discover it until I got the bike out of the back of the truck and set it on the side stand. It was at this point I saw how far over it was leaning. I assumed the bracket or stand had been damaged in the fall and ordered a replacement. It was not until I took off the bracket to replace it that I discovered the bolts had pulled away from the casing and taken chunks of the casing with them. Things I have learned from this experience: 1) don't ship a bike with the side stand down, 2) don't trust anyone else to strap down my bike for me, and 3) use more than 4 straps to tie down a bike.
Who woulda thought ? From now on I'll be putting my stand up as well. Sorry for your mishap, I hope you come up with a solution.

Thanks. It is fixed. I shared the fix earlier in this thread. It is on the top of page 10 of this thread. So far the fix is doing well.
Somehow I missed part of this thread. Since the upgrade this site doesn't play nice with my Android. I think you solved the problem. Looks good as old to me ! Good onya !

I'm new to this thread. I'm trying to understand what broke it in the first place ? I always leave my standard down when strapped into the trailer, figuring if the right hand straps failed it might at least stay upright. Is that what broke this one off ? I don't see how that's possible. If you pulled the straps down to far it wouldn't break the standard, the bike would just start listing to the right. Am I missing something here ?
The fact that it's leaned will make it creep a minute amount every time it hits a bump. Distance Rider Dave found out the hard way, he wouldn't listen to me to put it straight up and down, his tipped over in the uhaul, luckily my bike was on the other side. If you use good, non worn straps, I can't imagine a strap failing. His casing failing seems extreme, but all that strap pressure works against you once it starts to tip.

When I trailer my Rocket I place the front tire in a wheel chock, with the bike on the sidestand then fasten the ratchet straps to the frame. I then tighten the straps on the left and right until the bike is upright with the sidestand in the air, fully compressing the front forks into the chock. I never put tension on the sidestand with the ratchet straps (especially after seeing the casting failure in this thread). Some people might state that fully compressing the front forks could blow the seals but this hasn't happened to me yet after several thousand miles. When I picked up my bike this was how the dealer loaded it in my trailer.

Going forward I think I will purchase and install a chock that supports the bike fully on the front tire without the need to fully tension the straps or deploy the sidestand or compress the front shocks.

Back