Crash bars/engine guards

Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
So what is the story on the crash bars/engine guards? I've seen several different posts on the Triumph and the Rivco's, neither one have struck me as doing much to keep the bike from being damaged. It seems like they "lessen" the damage but might not be as functional as we would like.
Anybody want to chip in their two cents on this?

One of the reasons I am curious is that I am thinking about getting the Corbin Beetle Bags and it appears that any rear "luggage" guard/crash bar just isn't going to work, especially if you have a passenger and the location of that indentation in the front of the bag, and I think you have to relocate the footpeg as well.

I've noticed some of the pictures for the front "dresser" bars have the highway pegs attached. How sturdy are they for that function?

Lastly, I guess if I was getting the leather panniers by Triumph the rear dresser bars would work okay, but LeatherLykes and the others...it doesn't look like they would fit well with them, and definitely not the Corbins.
Ride safe,
Dennis
20 days to go.

So what is the story on the crash bars/engine guards? I've seen several different posts on the Triumph and the Rivco's, neither one have struck me as doing much to keep the bike from being damaged. It seems like they "lessen" the damage but might not be as functional as we would like.
Anybody want to chip in their two cents on this?

Dennis,
I have the very sturdy front Rivco "tip over" bars. Even though strength has been redesigned into the newer Triumph front bars, Rivco probably still wins the strength competition because they don't protrude as far out as the Triumph front bars do.To my knowledge no one makes a true crash bar or can. It's not practical on a motorcycle.

One of the reasons I am curious is that I am thinking about getting the Corbin Beetle Bags and it appears that any rear "luggage" guard/crash bar just isn't going to work, especially if you have a passenger and the location of that indentation in the front of the bag, and I think you have to relocate the footpeg as well.

Not sure Dennis

I've noticed some of the pictures for the front "dresser" bars have the highway pegs attached. How sturdy are they for that function?

Mine are very sturdy and quite functional. These are well made. I love them. Here's the part #'s from Rivco:

PEGSW- Flat Foot Wide Pegs

GL18004- GL1800 Aluminium Highway Mounts(Yes Rocket uses Honda GL1800 mounts)

TR3050- Rocket 3 Engine Guards

This links to a picture of my set up:

Lastly, I guess if I was getting the leather panniers by Triumph the rear dresser bars would work okay, but LeatherLykes and the others...it doesn't look like they would fit well with them, and definitely not the Corbins.

Can't help you here Dennis.

Ride safe,
Dennis
20 days to go.

I'm sure you will get all your answers soon.:)

Last edited:
Dennis:

I too have the Rivco items. After reading here about the apparent structural flimsiness of the OEM bars, I just bought the Rivco items.

I did have a little trouble getting them to fit. Seems as though the lower front mount (a stamping about 3/16" thick and welded to the bar) didn't have enough radius to clear the bar which carries the floorboards (on right) and the brake assembly (on left) so I took my trusty die grinder and enlarged the radius a little to clear it. Also, when you pull the front engine mount bolt you need to lift the engine a little to ease the bolt out and you have to take care not to jam the bolt into the radiator side shield possibly bending it. After installing the bars I observed that with the mounting boss under the engine mounting bolt and the insert nut tightened to spec., the threaded end of the bolt doesn't engage the insert nut completely, it actually only goes about halfway through. I put a dab of 272 thread locker on the threads as I suspect halfway don't engage the insert. I'll probably change the bolt out in the near future to one with additional length. Other than those issues, they went on well and look good. I'll probably add a set of highway pegs sometime.

The Rivco bars aesthetically are run of the mill, though very sturdy. The chrome is triple plate but the welds are lumpy. Almost looks like the welder wasn't running enough shielding gas and too high a wire speed. As far as penetration on the weld, I hope I don't have to test it.:D

There is no way the bars will protect anything if you drop the bike, they don't protrude far enough. I suspect the first contact point will be the bar ends, brake and clutch levers and then the tank itself.....ouch.

I have to disagree with Hondax about the statement that crash bars offer no protection on any bike (from damage). My T100 has the Hepco-Becker crash bars and before the sidecar was attached, I dropped it in the shop while attempting to put it on the center stand. I fell on the crash bars saving the windshield, turn signals, headlight and tank. I broke a mirror and the brake lever. The damage would have been much greater if not for the crash bars.

I have to disagree with Hondax about the statement that crash bars offer no protection on any bike (from damage).

I have the Triumph engine bars. My bike has fallen over twice standing still, once on each side. The crash bars twisted, as designed. Along with the leather bags in back, the bike suffered no damage, except for scratched engine bars.

In a real crash, I doubt any engine bars would do much good with such a heavy bike.

I have to disagree with Hondax about the statement that crash bars offer no protection on any bike (from damage). My T100 has the Hepco-Becker crash bars and before the sidecar was attached, I dropped it in the shop while attempting to put it on the center stand. I fell on the crash bars saving the windshield, turn signals, headlight and tank. I broke a mirror and the brake lever. The damage would have been much greater if not for the crash bars.

CRASH BARS will do little in a CRASH,i.e. actual vehicular accident involving a motorcycle. Remember they are not called crash bars except by salesman and people who want you to believe they do more than advertised, like heh, heh, salesman. Rivco calls them "tip over bars" for a reason and I appreciate their honesty.

Flip,
I didn't say "crash bars offer no protection on any bike (from damage)." as you stated. Rather I said, "To my knowledge no one makes a true crash bar or can. It's not practical on a motorcycle." My reference point being an actual vehicular accident involving a motorcycle, not a simple tip over or even very low speed incident, which I believe the Rivco's can survive.

...don't make me come up to Michigan......:D

Last edited:
...don't make me come up to Michigan......:D

You don't want to come here anyway. The weather is way too raw for you, especially this time of year.

I'd let you play with a Kubota though.......:D
You'd probably like that after running your open station JD's all these years.:rolleyes:

I took your post verbatim. I should have read it more closely, I apologize. Yes, they are all "tip over" bars including the Hepco Becker's on my T100.

You don't want to come here anyway. The weather is way too raw for you, especially this time of year.

Do we need to get into a "my frostbite damage is worse than yours" affair here.;)

I'd let you play with a Kubota though.......:D
You'd probably like that after running your open station JD's all these years.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't know how to act without insulated coveralls and surplus Army cold weather gear. I don't want to become wimpy or anything...:)

I took your post verbatim. I should have read it more closely, I apologize. Yes, they are all "tip over" bars including the Hepco Becker's on my T100.

I'm sure all your recent bad weathers just got you off your game,...no worries mate!

For aestehtic reasons I vote Rivco bars. For the tight and squareness of appearance. For highway pegs I vote Rivco bars also for the same reasons plus reportedly more sturdy. For purpose of acutally protecting anything in a "tip over" situation I'd have to say OEM bars. I have the latter, both fore and aft.

Back