Crash bars/engine guards

Great!

A lot more good info to absorb. HeR3tic you are not making this any easier are you?
So far I probably would rather go Rivco, except that Sidecar Flip hints that they could be a bear to install. But if all I am trying to do is try to minimize damage in case of a tip over, the OEM bars seem like they would do the trick (I gotta look up the prices on these things, something else to do), but their ability to sturdily handle the highway pegs if I decide eventually to get them could be a little suspect.

Hondax hints that the OEM bars have been strengthened.

I may end up (if the Corbin deal doesn't go well) just going ahead and getting the Triumph bags and dresser rails as I think those rails have some support underneath, I would then definitely get the OEM rear dresser bars. But if I get those Corbins...looks like there is nothing available to keep them from hitting the pavement if the bike tips over.

I was hoping to have a lockable trunk, but I may just do any shopping on the way home if I go leather.

Gotta go, need to call the "loan" department at my credit union and see what I'm a gonna need.

Thanks for the inputs, I've got lots of info...just need to go sort it out.

This would have been a lot simpler if the Tourer came with a black engine.
Dennis
19 days to go.

Rivco are working on bars that will protect the corbins to some degree.

Given I know what its like to grind half your corbin bag away on the pavement believe me some bar solution is necessary and **** soon

One Painful Safety Note

One of my episodes with pavement was the result of having highpegs mounted on the outside of the engine guards.

I hit some gravel in the middle of the road in mid-turn and the bike slide out... doing a low-side skid...

until the highway pegs dug into the asphalt sending me on a high-side superman and the bike in hot pursuit.

Thankfully the bike came to a halt before I did, but the bike was totalled and I wasn't.

Consider your mounting options carefully and keep the shiney side up...

Last edited:
Doug:

It is heavy. I was referring to the blanket statement. My T100's bars saved it's ass.

I had engine guards on a 1970 TR6R and laid it down a couple of times at high speed. Virtually no damage except to the rubber peg covers. That was a much lighter bike and I believe the engine bars were more like the current Rivco bars for the R3.

Get laid....

I've never laid a street bike down at any speed. I did lay a street bike down many years ago while taking the MSF Instructors course. It was a Yamaha Virago 920 and they only go so slow with the clutch all the way out as I found out. I got to step over that one but it did quite a bit of damage to the bike as the bars folded inward and the 920 had the cast aluminum bars with stub ends. That was ugly.:D

I've laid a few dirt bikes down at speed, most notably my old KTM 250 ISDT bike on a gravel fire road at about 60. The nurses at the local hospital spent about 2 hours with iodine scrubs working the pea gravel out of my tush. That was ugly too.:D

Saddlebag locks

Thanks HeR3tic, that was a good link. If I go leather that looks like a good solution, after all the locks are going to keep an honest guy honest, if they really want what is in the "luggage" they'll get in somehow. At least if I go leather I can get the rear dresser bars to help out back there.
Ratboy, thanks for that perspective on the highway pegs, I may look up the Mic 'O Pegs that a lot of Wingers use and see if they have a Rocket application. They spring out of the way when not in use. Hopefully means that they fold out of the way and not "anchor" the bike if it goes into a skid.
Thanks,
Dennis

Alarm system

That might be another route to take. The only problem is I have about 4 cats (out of 8) that consider themselves quite the "biker" cat. Of course with the Wing I may be able to have only two to a cycle. I bring that up as the motion sensor may be more trouble than it's worth, though they might be adjustable...but if my cats get any fatter even that may not help.
Dennis
18 days to go (technically 19, but I do not count the last day [Sunday, March 18th] as I'm in the air most of the day...3 flights, about 19 hours of flying and roughly 8 or 9 time zones)...and I'll be home around 5:30 pm.

That might be another route to take. The only problem is I have about 4 cats (out of 8) that consider themselves quite the "biker" cat. Of course with the Wing I may be able to have only two to a cycle. I bring that up as the motion sensor may be more trouble than it's worth, though they might be adjustable...but if my cats get any fatter even that may not help.
Dennis
18 days to go (technically 19, but I do not count the last day [Sunday, March 18th] as I'm in the air most of the day...3 flights, about 19 hours of flying and roughly 8 or 9 time zones)...and I'll be home around 5:30 pm.

Dennis,
Turn off the motion sensor part of the bike alarm when bike is in the garage or utilize your house alarm for this purpose. Unless you take the cats with you.......;)

Back