Coolant overflow

jake shaw

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Rocket Touring
Occasionally during a ride, if I stop and shut off the bike while the fan is running, the coolant will overflow from the catch tank tube. It happens so often I do not put any coolant in the overflow tank. Any thoughts on this? I understand there is a bleeder for the system somewhere. Can anyone tell me where it is? The bike is an 05 and has done it from new.

I personally think that coolant overflow container is a waste of time. It only holds about a dixie cup full of coolant anyway. Mine pissed the tank dry at the Hoover dam about 4 years ago. I just finally put some back in it when I changed my coolant this spring. Never had any overheating problems. The bleeder is between the front throttle body and the radiator. Seems like you have to remove the little plastic throttle cable cover (2, 8mm bolts) to get at it.

I personally think that coolant overflow container is a waste of time. It only holds about a dixie cup full of coolant anyway. Mine pissed the tank dry at the Hoover dam about 4 years ago. I just finally put some back in it when I changed my coolant this spring. Never had any overheating problems. The bleeder is between the front throttle body and the radiator. Seems like you have to remove the little plastic throttle cable cover (2, 8mm bolts) to get at it.
Thanks for the reply.

What I've found is following the shop manual, you'll always be overflowing. When filling and fluid starts to come through the weep, just stop. Do not top off radiator and do not put anything in the overflow bottle. Just tighten the bolt and you're done. There's also a bleed bolt on the front of the pump if yours is like my 07.

Back