Coolant Bypass Tube Crankcase Fitting Leak UPDATE Replace Engine or Cases

UPDATE

I called Corp Customer Service, to initiate the conversation about replacing the bike if a motor or case swap was required. Good conversation. After Corp and the Dealer spoke, they requested me to drop the bike off to the shop again so they could effect a repair. The local dealer will convert the leaking connection to a threaded fitting, this is what the dealer wanted to do in the first place but Triumph did not agree with this action for some reason. This should resolve the leak without the need to replace motor or cases. If Triumph would have signed off on the suggested repair in the first place 2 weeks ago, then this episode would be over.

I am fine with converting the press fitting to threaded, there is plenty of case thickness to work with and the local techs are confident it will resolve the issue with minimum effort and little risk of failure. I'll post a final update once I get the bike back. Looks like this will be over soon.

JR

UPDATE

I called Corp Customer Service, to initiate the conversation about replacing the bike if a motor or case swap was required. Good conversation. After Corp and the Dealer spoke, they requested me to drop the bike off to the shop again so they could effect a repair. The local dealer will convert the leaking connection to a threaded fitting, this is what the dealer wanted to do in the first place but Triumph did not agree with this action for some reason. This should resolve the leak without the need to replace motor or cases. If Triumph would have signed off on the suggested repair in the first place 2 weeks ago, then this episode would be over.

I am fine with converting the press fitting to threaded, there is plenty of case thickness to work with and the local techs are confident it will resolve the issue with minimum effort and little risk of failure. I'll post a final update once I get the bike back. Looks like this will be over soon.

JR
I wish you the best of luck brother; that is a goofy situation

UPDATE

JR
JUST get a NEW BIKE or install a nice threaded fitting and be done with it

UPDATE

JR

JR, what dealership are you using?

Is it in a location they can access the back of to prevent drilling and tapping debris from getting into the engine?

Mate, I feel for you ... bloody Friday bikes. Rockets seem to be very individual beasts. If your happy with everything else about the machine ...... keep it! But obviously some compensation for pissing you about is due. New bike ???? the better solution but there is always a but .... You Americans invented litigation. Get someone else to talk for you ..... maybe pro bono crap. It seems to me that you have had to put a lot of effort into this .... buy a vehicle and you expect to be able to use it. We all love the bikes .... and here is the but .... the company seems to be lacking in an ethical approach to their business and as such ..... the dealers are left between a rock and a hard place ... squeezed hard to make good on repairs that are obviously design or assembly faults. Very out of sink with the men who wanted to keep Triumph alive. Long live the memory of the Merton works. Just an old Triumph Riders' observations.

Triumph leaves a lot to be desired. They did approve 2 differentials under warranty, on my 2013. They were just seeping oil out the square opening on the bottom. Seal problem I guess. However, The dealer had a Triumph triple of some sorts on the bench, all tore apart. I asked what for, they said the engine case had some paint/powder coat, peeling off, so Triumph OK'd replacement of just the engine cases. Whole engine had to be removed, stripped down, and re-assembled with the new case halves.

UPDATE

The saga continues, it's official, my brand new bike has been in the shop more than in my garage and it's going back. The shop called me and reported they were able to repair the leaking fitting, replaced it with a threaded assembly:
coolant-leak-fix.JPG
Now that's all well and good, they ran the bike up to temp a couple times and over pressured the coolant system, no leak. Wonderful, coolant leak repaired, moving on.

During the repair, they pulled the oil tank to gain access to the area, while re-installing the oil tank, it was dented. They ordered a new oil tank and replaced it while still in the shop. When I went to pick the bike up, there was some oil on the crankcase under the oil tank down to the foot peg rail. Tech ragged it down, it was dry. I get home and noticed oil seeping down the case. I clean it again, this morning, oil down the case.
oil-leak.JPG
I don't know how the oil tank is fitted, but it's probably something simple as a scuffed o-ring or pinched seal?

They are picking the bike up from my house this morning. I'm now calling this bike Frankenstein.

JR

Back