Coolant Bypass Tube Crankcase Fitting Leak UPDATE Replace Engine or Cases

Hubguru

It's Throttle Time!
Ride
2017 Rocket III Roadster, 2012 Kopavi V8 Trike
Hi All,

I took my 2017 R3R in for the first ~500 miles service checkup to the Triumph dealer. They found a coolant system leak on the crankcase press fitting for the bypass tube under the thermostat housing leaking at the crankcase. They reported it to Triumph to confirm course of action.

1'st, I have to leave the bike for 3 days to effect repairs, not happy, but OK.

2'nd, all repairs will be covered under warranty, I expect nothing less, OK.

3'rd, first repair attempt is to drain system, extract press fitting, add brass collar and re-press fitting back into case. The fitting looks to be stainless steel but not sure. SS/brass/aluminum press fitted with cold/hot/cold cycles, I'm no metallurgist, but isn't this asking for trouble? Guaranteed future leaks?

4'th if leak continues, replace crankcase. How long would this take?

Dealer service guys reported not ever seeing or hearing of this as a common area for coolant leaks, and they are confident they can get it sorted out. This is my first experience with Triumph dealer service, so far so good, they seem knowledgeable and eager to help work the issue. So my question, is this common leak area, has anyone else had this leak and had it repaired with the above brass collar, does it hold up and seal as it should?

Thanks.

JR

UPDATE

Step 1, three days turned into 11 days in the shop, I think they were just backed up on service but once they started working on it, they tried a few things but could not effect repairs that Triumph was happy with so they put it back together and handed the bike back over to me. Still leaking coolant, slow drip but the bike is operational. The service manager is discussing the issue with Triumph to see next action which reportedly is to replace the cases or replace the whole motor.

Service manager reports for either option, the bike will be in the shop for 30 days or more.

They do have a shiny new red stripe rocket on the showroom they could swap out the bike with but this has to be approved by Triumph US. So I will be calling them tomorrow, the local guys gave me the head customer service manager who could possible approve the bike swap under warranty.

So my question to you guys is, with only 500 Miles on the bike and the massive undertaking on warranty repair, how likely is Triumph to just swap the bike out with a new one and how should I handle the discussion with the Corporate Rep to encourage the bike swap? Keep in mind I also had the issue of losing all electrical and that has happened twice now. This was reported in the first service so it is on record. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

JR

UPDATE

Step 1, three days turned into 11 days in the shop, I think they were just backed up on service but once they started working on it, they tried a few things but could not effect repairs that Triumph was happy with so they put it back together and handed the bike back over to me. Still leaking coolant, slow drip but the bike is operational. The service manager is discussing the issue with Triumph to see next action which reportedly is to replace the cases or replace the whole motor.

Service manager reports for either option, the bike will be in the shop for 30 days or more.

They do have a shiny new red stripe rocket on the showroom they could swap out the bike with but this has to be approved by Triumph US. So I will be calling them tomorrow, the local guys gave me the head customer service manager who could possible approve the bike swap under warranty.

So my question to you guys is, with only 500 Miles on the bike and the massive undertaking on warranty repair, how likely is Triumph to just swap the bike out with a new one and how should I handle the discussion with the Corporate Rep to encourage the bike swap? Keep in mind I also had the issue of losing all electrical and that has happened twice now. This was reported in the first service so it is on record. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

JR

I would only accept a new bike. You paid "new" price but are going to end up with a bike assembled by people used to changing oil and tires. No f_cking way ! When you replace the cases your dealing with getting the main bearings sized correctly. That takes a bit of skill. Currently my bike is down with a hosed trans because some "Triumph technition" who only put half the update kit in, put the circlips on the wrong direction.

If your bike had 5,000 miles, a new engine would be good.

Electrical troubles too? Maybe they used some old Lucas parts during assembly.

30 days during riding season, to make a decision? I would be wanting the red stripe bike waxed up and delivered. Let them do as they please with the used one.

And throw in a Triumph leather jacket for your trouble.

Likely to do it? I think the dealer should insist and intervene on behalf of the customer.

Thanks Guys,

The dealers disposition is either or, they are OK with bike swap but it must be approved by Triumph, but I have to initiate the discussion and push the issue. Strange they would not take the lead and advocate for me but we'll see how it goes.

JR

I am surprised they did not measure the hole in the engine case. Mistakes happen and maybe its a wee bit oversize. I am not sure who is running customer service at the corporate level but when talking to them do not put them on the defensive as nothing gets handled quickly by pissed off people. If it were me and the Roadster on the floor is a 2017 I would go for the swap out. If its a 16 well I would be looking as to whether there is a price difference and could that work to your advantage.

There's no way I would accept anything less than a new bike if they're talking new motor. No way! I agree with warp9.9, be as tactful as you can and let them know they owe it to you. Good luck too.

Back