Coolant Bypass Tube Crankcase Fitting Leak UPDATE Replace Engine or Cases

UPDATE

The saga continues, it's official, my brand new bike has been in the shop more than in my garage and it's going back. The shop called me and reported they were able to repair the leaking fitting, replaced it with a threaded assembly:
coolant-leak-fix.JPG
Now that's all well and good, they ran the bike up to temp a couple times and over pressured the coolant system, no leak. Wonderful, coolant leak repaired, moving on.

During the repair, they pulled the oil tank to gain access to the area, while re-installing the oil tank, it was dented. They ordered a new oil tank and replaced it while still in the shop. When I went to pick the bike up, there was some oil on the crankcase under the oil tank down to the foot peg rail. Tech ragged it down, it was dry. I get home and noticed oil seeping down the case. I clean it again, this morning, oil down the case.
oil-leak.JPG
I don't know how the oil tank is fitted, but it's probably something simple as a scuffed o-ring or pinched seal?

They are picking the bike up from my house this morning. I'm now calling this bike Frankenstein.

JR

JR, what shop are you using? Is it RPM Cycle?

I'd suggest you stop using that dealer. Oil tank was dented because they tried to man handle it back on.

Oil is now leaking because they didn't properly seat the hose.

Clearly they're not comfortable with working on the R3.

UPDATE

After the bike spent more time in the shop than in my garage for the past 2 months, I have it back and without leaks. I was reluctant to mention the dealer before but yes, it is RPM Cycles in Dallas. I think overall the whole experience worked out OK, preferable it didn't happen at all of course but all the back and forth to the shop and dealing with the service department was frustrating but not too terrible. They were always sympathetic to my dismay and apologetic for the trouble. It showed me the dealership does stand behind it's work and the product. The oil tank leak came down to installing new o-rings and ensuring no residual oil in the pipe fittings in the block.

I appreciate all your comments and guidance as I worked through this event, you guys are great. now it's time to go ride.

JR

UPDATE

After the bike spent more time in the shop than in my garage for the past 2 months, I have it back and without leaks. I was reluctant to mention the dealer before but yes, it is RPM Cycles in Dallas. I think overall the whole experience worked out OK, preferable it didn't happen at all of course but all the back and forth to the shop and dealing with the service department was frustrating but not too terrible. They were always sympathetic to my dismay and apologetic for the trouble. It showed me the dealership does stand behind it's work and the product. The oil tank leak came down to installing new o-rings and ensuring no residual oil in the pipe fittings in the block.

I appreciate all your comments and guidance as I worked through this event, you guys are great. now it's time to go ride.

JR

I'm glad you got it sorted!
I do all of my own work except when I needed valves done at 30,000 I just didn't have the time n resources to do it myself. To make a long story short, they (RPM) did a fine job on it for me including some unexpected issues that came up during, and they took care of it without any extra charges :)
The service manager at that time is no longer with the n I don't know bout the new guy, but they really went above n beyond to treat me like I was an important customer n not just another number.
So hopefully this long winded hiccup is now miles behind you

I grew up in a transmission shop so in a nutshell, I don't let anybody touch my bikes unless the tool needed is too expensive. I've dealt with 3 motorcycle dealers here in the Valley (RGV) two out of the 3 always screwed something up. On my Roadster, with less than 1,000 miles, there was a tiny leak of coolant when I first bought it. I read online that all you had to do was unscrew and re-torque the water pump housing bolts; I took it in because it was under warranty and had purchased the extended warranty as well. Long story short and when I got home (bike delivered), I smell coolant (was just a few miles away from the Dealer); checked her out and noticed the radiator cap was not seated properly. Let her cool down and removed the cap only to expose that the idiots bent one of the tabs. When there was no pressure, the cap would sit; once pressure built up it, it would extend outward. They also cracked one of the chrome radiator housing (plastic ones). Went back to the dealer to talk to the manager; took me to the shop area to talk to the mechanic and noticed the unprofessional environment. Kids (employees) messing around with music full blast; shop rags all over the freakin place; high energy drinks all over the place. Told the manager, never mind, screw this; paid 15 bucks for the new radiator cap and a quart of coolant (don't remember the price at that time for it) and was done with it.

Another bike I had bought brand new, I took it in for the first service (different dealer) and picked it up once it was ready. Rode the bike home and parked it; next day, there is a small puddle of oil underneath the bike; since I grew up wrenching, took a look and the leak was from the drain bolt. I grabbed a socket and the plug was loose; tightened it up, and the problem was solved.

People down here are very quick to use impact wrenches at full power; not too many understand the simple concept of torque. Anyway, sorry for the long post but it does make me feel that you have to shop around to get real service done right.

Back