Considering an R3? Whats accel like?

Jimbeamrye

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
I am very interested in purchasing a new R3 for year 2007. I was curious if anyone has heard of major differences coming in 2007? Also I have been reading about the idle/stalling probs on some bikes, and hope for an official responce from Triumph.
I purchased a new bike last year (VTX) and am very unhappy with throttle responce. I would like to know from you current R3 owners how often you find the bottom of the throttle? When I first got the bike, I hardly used 100% throttle, but now I have it there all the time and I hate doing that. I want a bike that will dam near pull a wheelie when that throttle goes to 100%...will the R3 do that? Please post what this bike(R3) will do when starting from a dead stop....up to 60 mph? Please be honest if this bike is sluggish in anyway. I would get a racing bike if not for wanting to ride 2 up with the wife. Posts from 2-up riders welcome also. The local shops around here don't offer "test" rides, so thats why I need answers like these. Will the bike keep up with some ******-rockets? Thanks, John from Pensacola, Florida.

Last edited:
Hang On Real Tight!

JBR..... First of all welcome to the site. When you have time, post a hello in the "Introduce yourself section" so we all can say hi.

Second...... boy, you couldn't have picked a better drag bike for two than the R3. My navigator starts giggling ever time I kick on the after burner. I had trouble hanging on before I got some Tuneboy adjustments and now I truely need my back rest or I can't hang on. I did my first wheelie ( I didn't mean to) and that answered any questions I might have about throttle response. Unless I'm getting on it......... I probably don't use more than 20% of the throttle motion. There's just more power and torque than most people know what to do with. Once you own a Rocket III....... you quickly learn how to control it but put it to good use when you decide to leave the rest of your posse behind.

I've read reports saying the 0-60 mph can be between 2.8 and 3.4 seconds. I'm not that good a rider so I'll probably never see that low figure but I put it on the info card I hand to people when they ask me about the R3. I got tired of telling people over and over what it was, what it could do and what I've done to it. That's why I made a business card for my R3. Now........after a time of explaining things about the bike, I hand them a card so they can look it over after I've left. It's kind of fun watching their face after I give them the whole tour of the bike and start getting into the specs. Within 10 minutes they have that "Deer in the headlights" look. That's when I know I've taken them to SENSORY OVERLOAD. Now they can look at the card and it helps them remember more of the "THIS IS A TRIUMPH R3" seminar. Link Removed

As to the idle problems. Though there have been, and probably still are, problems with idle issues, I've been lucky and everythings worked all right on my 2005. Probably the 2007 will have fixed any issue from 2006. At least, I hope they do. If not, Tomo has the best and easiest solution I know of and he's ( in addition to all the gang ) willing to help or assist you in solving any problem you have. If none of us can help...... we at least can cry with you!!!!!!

Ride Safe

Last edited:
:) Hi Jim...one thing you don't have to worry about a Rocket being and that is sluggish..no where in the powerband is it sluggish...You will ride around with a stupid grin on your face most of the time and enjoy passing anything whenever you want to...No issues with my 2005 either at 7500 miles

It will keep up with most ****** rockets to about 100 MPH then they start to pull away. I have a bad habit of trying to race anything that I pass or comes near me. Nothing better than seeing a guy on a CBR do a double take in his side mirror when you are on his ass, especailly when he thinks he has just smoked another cruiser. I think that all of your questions and concerns would be answered with one test ride.:)

Thanks everyone for answering my questions! I will be taking a test ride soon, as I heard from one of your members here, that the local shop has a test demo ride R3. You see guys, I've never rode a Triumph before, so I never had any reason to go to the Triumph dealer and see what they had....not to mention the local dealer is not on a main road. I didn't know there was even one in town. So last year I went out to buy a new bike and I wanted that bike to have at least 5 things....All disk brakes,Water cooled,Shaft drive,Mag wheels, and last...POWER. I found only one bike that had the first 4..a Honda VTX. It is a really nice bike...looks great, handles well, but it lacks the most important part of all...power. It's a 1300 cc that acts like a 650 cc. I really have screwed up cause I gonna lose :mad: 2000-3000 dollars when I try to sell it, maybe more..aaarrrggg!
When I saw the R3 a rider was on last weekend, I was so impressed with the looks of the bike. I just really liked the looks of it so I did and internet query on it, and began to like it even more. I'd go buy one asap if it wasn't for having to figure out how to get my VTX sold with minimal $$ loss.
Thanks again for all the help, John.
**Where can I get Info on rear end ratios?** The 1st gear on my bike is dam near like a 2nd gear...its so tall.

PS: I asked if the R3 could do wheelies, I only wanted to know that cause it means it is a powerfull bike. I'M not going to do any...on purpose anyway.

Last edited:
Rear end ratios are not much of an issue with this bike because there is so much torque you simple twist it in any gear and it goes. There is a member who had to ride several miles in traffic because he was stuck in 5th gear. Yes it will wheelie, you can clutch it to get the front wheel to come up and sometimes if it rear tire bites under hard acceleration the front tire will come up about 6 inches. All very controlable.

my brother inlaw just traded in his vtx 1300 to get a vtx 1800, i havent seen it
yet, if it was so great i think he would have shown me by now, but i think he will still be dissapointed(and behind me)

accel

My bike makes 150 ft lbs at 2300 rpm. This produces mind numbing acceleration. You can't really compare this to a sport bike that makes horsepower at nearly twice the rpms. Not to mention that they don't have cruiser comfort. Take a test drive on a Rocket nd let us know what you think.

KSCOTT said:
my brother inlaw just traded in his vtx 1300 to get a vtx 1800, i havent seen it
yet, if it was so great i think he would have shown me by now, but i think he will still be dissapointed(and behind me)

The VTX won't be very far behind you, especially if it has a few goodies on it. Trouble with a VTX is Honda made so many of them, everybody has them and besides they are ugly. The resale on a used one is zip. You could buy 3 used ones for the price of an R3.

Sweet merciful crap!

Jim .. I can only further back up the commentary here. I sold my Shadow ACE (which I dearly loved) in the hunt for throttle response. It took a BIG increase to get me to sell my beloved bike .. and have mercy does the R3 fill that increase and then some. I ride two-up on a regular basis and have my passenger holding me with a death-grip when I punch it. Frankly, I still don't dare roll the throttle full-on in first gear & do it cautiosuly w/ second, simply because she has SOOO much kick.
And that is w/ the original egngine tune it it, limiting 7% of power for all of 1st & 2nd gear and have of third!

I think we're all waiting for you to re-post after your test-drive .. do let us know!

Back