Considering an R3? Whats accel like?

Rocket III First gear

Hi, I've been looking in on trading my VTX 1800 for a Rocket III. My Honda dealership sells Triumphs as well. I was talking to one of the sevice person, and he was telling me that there having a lot of problems with people complaining that the first gear slips out. To fix this problem the engine needs to be taken out. They found out that Triumph forgot a part that keeps the first gear from slipping and other bolts that get loose because they forgot the thread lock. This is a $ 2,000.00 fix. They said that Triumph has been good, and they paid for the cost. Has any one had this problem or as heard about this?

Mine's Fine

This is not something I've heard anything about. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.....just never brought to my attention before. I've had mine 18 months and the only thing I noticed was a little stiffness in down shifting gears. At the 500 mile check up I had them adjust it for a smoother transition from 2nd to 1st. It's been a dream ever since.

I'd be interested to find where the dealer got this information and how prevalent is the problem. Keep us posted but my vote is get the R3 ASAP. I don't believe you'll regret it and it does come with a full 2 year warranty!

Rockett III

Thanks for the reply great to here that there is no problem with your Rocket. But I'm surprized that I only got one person that owns a Rocket reply. I was hoping that I would get more responce to this problem . So it would put my mind to rest and maybe they just shiped a few Rockets here in Seatle, WA and my dealer got them and makes them look bad . Do I have this email about the Rockets have this first gear slip out located in the right place or should I put it some where else so I can get more responce? Thanks

There have been some problems (not a lot, I don't think) about a bolt that holds a shift fork coming loose, and depending on which gear you are in... that is where you get stuck. It doesn't really cause first to slip or pop out. If these things happen... that's what warranty is for. You can buy a Toyota or a Nissan and bad things can happen... and do, trust me, I know. Rockets ain't perfect, but they aren't all that bad either. I really haven't had a lick of trouble with mine. I have heard horror stories about some Hondas, BMW's and Moto Guzzi's that would make your toes curl. It's not a perfect world.

Part of the problem is the internet, in my opinion. Someone posts about a problem and its easy to imagine that all bikes will have that problem. That's just not true, in fact, there may be tens of thousands of bikes that don't have the problem. For the most part I think most Rocket owners are happy with the bikes.

This doesn't mean that we should bury our heads in the sand either. If there are problems like this it helps to share info on it so we can get them fixed and Triumph can avoid them in the future:D

Is the R3 a sewing machine??

Tomo:

No truer statement has ever been made. The internet is a wonderful place to exchange information and converse like this forum, but, a small problem can be magnified 100 times in a keystroke.

When you are dealing with a machine and I mean any type of machine from a motorcycle to a sewing machine, failures happen and rectified all the time. It's interesting that you hardly ever hear about positive things, only the negative things. I guess that is human nature.

cane corso said:
Hi, I've been looking in on trading my VTX 1800 for a Rocket III. My Honda dealership sells Triumphs as well. I was talking to one of the sevice person, and he was telling me that there having a lot of problems with people complaining that the first gear slips out. To fix this problem the engine needs to be taken out. They found out that Triumph forgot a part that keeps the first gear from slipping and other bolts that get loose because they forgot the thread lock. This is a $ 2,000.00 fix. They said that Triumph has been good, and they paid for the cost. Has any one had this problem or as heard about this?

Hasn't happened to me.

Rocket III First gear

It's just that my dealer has had six of them in for this same problem. And I know if I bought a new one for $16,000 I would have a two years. I would like to get a 2005 that has all the after market pipes and all the goodies for cheaper but if this happens it might be my caost. I did a lot of up grades on my VTX dual intakes cobra pipes clock wind deflector and comandor and so on and I know the expence and I know I will not get my money back. So I figure if I loose on my VTX. I want to gain on my Rocket. They are saying to me just put a supercharger on my VTX and be done with it. But every time I go there the Rocket calls me over.

You've been bit by the Rocket bug Cane...:roll: You might as well break down and spend the bucks. I had a girlfriend once that could have been a foldout.... she cost me more money in a short period of time than I can even believe today :eek: but I did have a lot of fun. What is that Robert Palmer song... Completely Irresistable... " I wonder where all the money went"

Its funny... you buy cars with your head and you buy bikes with your other head...

Cane,
Rockets are reliable machines but not infallible.
Your Dealers bad luck with the shifting is just that, bad luck. Most all bikes seem void of this problem.
Let the two year warranty set your mind at ease. If it can't, extend it out until it does. Then sit back and enjoy one of the most unique bikes ever made.:)

Rocket III

Toys, I feel like I'm fighting for two women that my wife says pick one and stick to it that I can't have both :confused: Well if that head thing really works and I picked a good wife then maybe the Rocket sould be mine. Does anyone know someone that is looking for a vary fast and custom VTX 1800? Hey Hon what you say about getting a new one and haveng a two year waranty would be good for peace of mind but I want one that has all the goodies that someone else paid for. I wounder if and when I find one if I good buy a two year warranty? That would be cool

Back