Clutch gone after 2 months......

Look, they're reading his. I can hear it now:

"It's about precedent, a clutch is a wear item and you can burn it in one hard run, that's likely to be their argument. We buy you a new clutch and we're going to have to eat a bunch of hem. So let's draw the line in the sand before this thing gets out of control..."

In the end I expect this to be an isolated failure. You can be sure that there is an acceptable percentage of failures before a design flaw is announced and a recall campaign is initiated. Not a popular opinion, to be sure. Call me a cynic.

To those guys suggesting I hit social media hard, I have started. Plus Triumph here and in the UK. I'm an easy going guy but to get brushed like this gets even me a bit worked up. Even if I had fanged this down the dragstrip a few times (which I had hoped to but hadn't), I'd still expect a bike marketed the way they have to have been strong enough to cope. As I have said ad naseum, my old 2012 Diavel never had an issue and that thing copped a hammering for years. I had been going relatively easy on the Rocket as I was still breaking the engine in also. If it can't cope with its own power then this bike has big engineering issues and should stick to just marketing itself as an old man's cruiser not a Ducati Diavel competitor.

Ha! What were really the chances to do good now after they slept 15 years in what gearbox / clutch relates?

maybe i'm looking at this from the wrong perspective, but i have seen the clutches on the bikes our students use for learning to ride a motorcycle, over a 2-day course the bike has spent most of its time in the friction zone, day in, day out. When you take them apart when they have finally failed, typically after a year or two, depending on the bike, sometimes longer, they show wear, and burning, steels turn dark tan and black, but not a burnt black, if that makes any sense. Before anyone loses it, I know it isn't a rocket, but this is after a period of much longer than 2-months, with mid to high RPM while riding the clutch for incredibly longer periods of time than you would on the street, they would be exposed to a long term accumulative effect.

When you look at the pictures for this persons clutch, you see oil in the casing as you would expect, and you see the deposits of metal and what appears to be burnt fibres, also when you look at the fibres and steels, some of the fibres look like they are almost charred, but definitely they have been burned, some of them you see oil on them, some you don't (possibly due to being wiped off during removal) and some of the steels are black right down to the teeth, that whole clutch pack looks like it took on a lot of heat. I'm wondering if there might have been an oil flow issue in the engine, where the clutch for whatever reason just wasn't getting the level of oil it needed, just a thought,

P.s. ask the 2.3 wheelie guys how long the engine lasts with a dry sump and questionably placed oil pick ups....iirc Kevin Carmichael did a lot of wheelies in the early publicity videos
I can imagine. Have intentionally not tried to keep it raised just in case - didn't expect this though. As I said elsewhere, don't want to sound like a whining old *****. Just wanted to know if others had the same issues yet and if not, to watch out.

Back